2008 DRC Grands Echezeaux - An Honest Review From a Non-Burg Drinker

Let me start off by mentioning a couple things. First, I do not drink much Burgundy/Pinot at all. It’s not that I don’t like it……I’ve just never focused on it before as my limited experience (with Burgundy in particular) has never really hit the highs for me that other wines/varietal’s do. Second, I have a pretty diverse cellar and drink across a wide range of wines depending on what I’m in the mood for. Everything from California Cabs/Zins, Bordeaux, Beaujolais, Carignane, Mataro/Mourvèdre, to Chenin Blanc, Riesling (dry and sweet), Hunter Valley Semillon, all the way to Madeira, Port, and Sauternes. In other words, I like to think that I can enjoy/appreciate many different styles of wines and celebrate diversity/exploring new things.

All that said, after spending quite a bit of time with this wine, I have to say that I, unfortunately, was not very impressed. I know. It’s DRC, how could I not love it?? Maybe my expectations were too high, but it just wasn’t very…….exciting. It was a ‘good’ wine. Maybe even ‘very good’. Nice baking spice notes on the nose, and subtle nuances of roses and cherries on the palate. All of which were very enjoyable, but I definitely did not get any of that DRC magic that I read about, and certainly did not have that Burgundy Epiphany that I was really hoping to experience. I’m far from an expert on DRC/Burgundy, but the CT notes on this wine from people whos palates I appreciate are glowing, so when I found it for a ‘decent price’ here locally from a source that has owned it since release and stored it properly (literally perfect provenance), I decided to splurge and see what a top notch Burgundy was all about.

Was it a nice wine and do I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to try it? Absolutely. In hindsight, knowing what my experience was with the wine, do I wish that I would have sold it to someone else who would probably enjoy it more than myself while also making a little money ? Yeah. I hate to say it, but I kinda do. I guess Burgundy just isn’t my bag……which given the prices, is probably ok :blush:

20211231_172134.jpg
20211231_172519.jpg

1 Like

Haven’t been very impressed with 08 DRC. That said, the color on this particular bottle looks rather oxidized.

1 Like

I think it looks a little more ‘bricky’ than I would have expected for a 2008.

I will leave that to the experts.

Yeah man, i kept looking for things to love or reasons why it wasn’t shining, but they just weren’t really there. It wasn’t oxidized at all. If anyhting it got better with air. Just no fire :frowning:

Here’s the cork as well. Literally pristine.
20220107_190340.jpg

1 Like

Hi Rich,

the cork can look perfect and the wine have some oxidation. The colour looks a bit too brown to me. The GE is as long-lived as any DRC offering and this '08 should show some aromatic development but still be really bright and energetic in the mouth.

Cheers
Jeremy

I wish I would have taken more pics of the wine in glass as I agree the photo looks a bit off. And I’m with ya on the cork not being the end all/be all. But I promise you, I am VERY sensitive to oxidation. Its probably the ‘flaw’ that I despise most in wine. For example, I don’t like Krug because I find it way too oxidative…where I know most peeps disagree.

That said, this wine was not oxidized. It was totally sound. Maybe it just needs more time?? Who knows. No great bottles and all that…

Cool. I think it’s great that you tried. I’m impressed that you went all in on DRC. And I’m sorry it didn’t work out. But that’s fine right?

I’ve never had a Tempranillo that knocked my socks off, and I’ve tried humble and grand, young and old. At best they’ve been okay for me. I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with Tempranillo. I just don’t love it. Same thing, right?

Don’t let anyone tell you you’re wrong.

for me, GE though pricewise second lowest in the hierarchy after Echezeaux (forgetting the more recent Corton and the occasional premier cru), it takes much more time than Ech, RSV, and sometimes even Richebourg, to strut its stuff. It’s a stern wine. I’m not apologizing for what may be a not so good DRC, just mentioning a little experience. It’s just very young. Sorry you weren’t wowed. Don’t give up on burgundy till you’ve tried a couple 20 year old premier crus.

1 Like

100% it wasn’t a DRC thing, it was a ME thing! For whatever reason, it just didn’t sing for me. Which is completely fine (well…despite the price, ha!), and it was a very educational. I live to fight another day/drink another bottle [cheers.gif]

really? I feel like GE is way more accessible than Ech/RSV/Richebourg nowadays. Since 2014 Corton is def the most accessible. I still find Ech to be the least accessible as the oak is so much less integrated.

Thanks Alan! I thought about that as well but it was the oldest DRC that I had (reasonable) access too, so I went for it. It did improve with air so I’m sure addiitonal age would be a positive :slight_smile:

Just be glad this DRC wasn’t an epiphany wine, and that you can move on with your curiosity sated. Given the ridiculous prices of Burgundy, this is probably a very good thing.

4 Likes

I haven’t tasted past 2010. Maybe it’s changed.

Gotta say I agree from my DRC experiences. I’ve been fortunate to drink a fair amount of bottles in the last 12 months and none were profound to me. Definitely a good experience but a little lackluster considering the hype and price. I’m assuming I’m just missing it but hey… doesn’t hurt to not need $2k bottles.

1 Like

It’s been a long time since I’ve had a 2008 Burgundy show well and I guess it’s no big surprise DRC isn’t an exception. The browning color does not suggest an off-bottle and is consistent with the appearance of many other '08s and part of what makes me nervous about the vintage. They could end up coming out okay but the options are either sell, hold, or hold even longer. Regardless, don’t write off Burgundy (or DRC) on account of this. Many other vintages much easier to enjoy right now.

3 Likes

I agree this is probably more an 08 thing. The only 08 I’ve had that I’ve really liked has been the RSV.

Rich not being into burgundy isn’t a bad thing.

That being said your best bet with drc is going to an event like La paulee or the drc event alex threw last October where you get a chance to taste a variety of bottlings in various states of maturity. It’s hard to get a sense of the producer in one bottling; it’s kinda like the guy not liking Dom after trying the 10.

2 Likes

There is a large stem presence in the ‘08’s.
A good friend in Lyon said that Roch was in the cellar at harvest.
Not sure if that is accurate or not, but if true, I can see the influence.

A recent bottle of the Vosne 1er Cru was very good.

1 Like

very sad to hear. but in the end it probably saves you money.

What i cant understand is that if there is some consensus about the 2008 not being as mind blowing, why does the market price seem to be unaffected by that? I would think that at such a high price point, vintage/ quality variation would cause tremendous variation in the price.

1 Like

I think in 08 the rsv benefits from stems as it’s very exotic and aromatic. RB and LT are good too but I wouldn’t be breaking the bank on 08. There were some relatively “cheap” DRC at a store in Prescott until recently but they were sold. I think they had 16 RSV for like 1800 and some rb and LT.

If I was looking for an “epiphany” DRC I’d be opening 10 RSV or LT, although that obviously wouldn’t be cheap. In October the aromatics on 10 RSV were otherworldly.

1 Like