Australian "Claret"

Looking for recommendations on a top “cellar defender” aussie cab/shiraz blend. Something under $100. I’ve been really impressed by Anaperenna, Bin 389, and Yalumba The Signature. Very new to barossa valley claret, and was hoping some with more experience could point me in the right direction.

[popcorn.gif]

I’d look for wines from Mount Mary, Moss Wood and Domaine A none of which are from the Barossa, but are much more classic claret

2 Likes

Not sure what style of wine you’re looking for, but the Leeuwin Art Series Cabernet is a nice wine that is Bordeaux-like.

I’m using the term “claret” just in the sense of an aussie cab/shiraz blend in the style of penfolds and glaetzer. Not trying to mimic old world style claret. Probably should have just left that term out b/c of the classic french connotation. Will definitely try the Leewin. Thanks!

1 Like

Hentley Farm Quintessential Shiraz Cab from Barossa
Redman The Redman from Coonawarra
Lindemans Limestone Ridge - an oldie but a goodie
The best that I have seen in recent years is the William Wilson which is a highly limited JV between Balnaves and Redman, but its more like $180, only 100 cases. Sorry to tempt you.

Come to think of it there really aren’t that many that spring to mind

Anapereena, 389 and the Signature are all good examples of this old school Australian blend.

In addition to Kent’s options above, I would suggest:
Majella Malleea
Henschke Euphonium

Should be well below your price point and can be great bargains at auction (in the US). I’ve had great examples with both (some folks consider the Malleea a little to modern but it has not been my experience with aged versions).

Malleea -great call. They age very well.

A bit tangential, this sort of put me in mind of an LCBO catalog that referred to Syrah as the French name for Shiraz…

Ok back to regularly scheduled programming. (This is not my bailiwick.)

Moss Wood Cabernet Sauvignon 2018 (if you can get it!)

While not all strictly Clarets…

Another vote for any of the Lindemans wines (Limestone Ridge, St George, Pyrus) for QPR

Lakes Folly Cabernets

Cullen Diane Madeline

Moss Wood

Wynns John Riddoch

1 Like

I bought and put away some Woodlands Vineyard, “Margaret” (Wiyabrup Valley, Margaret River) a few years ago. That’s a pure Bordeaux blend, no shiraz. But it was a really nice, balanced wine. The 2013 was $48 at Wine Library five years ago. It’s probably time to open another one.

Yes very good point about Wynns John Riddoch…incredible wine, there is not enough love for Australian wine…it is not just Penfolds :slight_smile:

Notwithstanding that Australia makes some great clarets (like moss wood, mount Mary and others mentioned here)… I think the OP has clarified that he is looking for the (relatively unique) Aussie Cabernet Shiraz blend.

Noons. One of the top in the whole country.

K&L has the 2016 Yarra Yering Dry Red #1 (the BDX style blend) for $99. I haven’t had the #1 at all but back in the day many spoke highly of it.

Moss Wood had been on my radar for a while (thanks to a good review a few years back by Adrian S.) I got a good offer from IG in the UK on the 2018 and took a 6 pack. Even with the poor exchange rate and the shipping it still was pretty cheap! :wink:

You will be happy you did!

If it’s Cabernet Shiraz blends you’re after, Yalumba The Caley is the bees knees. Not cheap though, and definitely more than your budget!

Huh, for mostly being able to get more Aussie wine (than US), I’ve not had a ton of the Cab/Shiraz’s… Perhaps one to add to the list is Rockford Rod & Spur. I liked that a lot. Looks like more Shiraz/CS but it gets back into Barossa… [cheers.gif]