Recommendations for wine from 1997

Hello all!

I’m after a wine from 1997 - (a birth year wine present for a birthday).

Are there any particular recommendations from anyone? Not looking to spend above £100 / $130. Can be red, white or sparkling, but not keen on sweet whites or ports (a shame because I hear 1997 sauternes are rather special).

Many thanks!

kind of a tough year. Jadot had some decent wines from 97 but may will probably be out of your price range like the CSD.

Not my cup of tea, but wasn’t CA Cab strong in '97? Might be able to find some sleeper gems in that price range.

Recently had the 1997 Chateau Musar which was in a great spot (from magnum)

FWIW- also easily in your budget as this wine is a great QPR

It’s a famous or infamous vintage … Bryant and Harlan supposedly being the two most noteworthy (for positive or negative reasons) 1997s but not in the 100GBP price range. Had a Mondavi To Kalon ‘97 recently that was enjoyable and probably in that ballpark price wise if it can be found in Europe.

1 Like

I’d second good Napa Cabs. I’ve had quite a few from 1997 recently that are in a really good place. I haven’t been a fan of other regions for that vintage.

1 Like

1997 napa cabs are great. I just noticed the 97 Rubicon for $125 at K&L, fwiw, probably a good buy.

1 Like

No idea about US-wines, but there are some good Burgundies (Rb Hudelot-Noellat, NSG Boudots/JJ Confuron, Clavelier Combe d’Orveau …) although the best are pricy … Pavie-Macquin is outstanding, and Ogier CR Belle Helene, Marcoux VV, Bonneau Marie Beurrier and Pegau Cuvee Justine are great. I doubt they are below 130 …

1 Like

'97 MONDAVI RESERVE !

Robert Parker Notes
95 Points, Robert Parker, Wine Advocate: “The profound 1997 Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve boasts a saturated ruby/purple color. Production (about 20,000 cases) of this sweet, opulently-textured, rich, full-bodied wine should guarantee widespread availability. Aged in 100% new French oak, this blend of 91% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Cabernet Franc, and 1% Petit Verdot offers a textbook varietal nose of cedar wood, licorice, creme de cassis, and pain grille. Full-bodied, with explosive sweetness and fruit on the attack, this gloriously pure, superbly well-delineated wine should be drinkable young, and last for 3 decades.” 12/99

1 Like

Another idea that might be more affordable would be a 1997 Barolo. Not a great year compared to 1996, but I have had some recently that are quite approachable. I have no idea how easy they are to source now though – and not sure if you are in the UK, Europe, or US.

1997 Tuscany are also quite good – though like Napa Cabs some are more modern (and therefore a style some, including me, tend to stay away from) and others are more traditional. I opened over a dozen 1997 Brunellos a few years ago (maybe as long as 5 years ago?) and they were drinking beautifully – some were excellent and clearly not in a downhill phase.

Good luck!

1 Like

Building on Ron’s comment, I recently had a 97 Flaccianello which was drinking absolutely beautifully. No idea what back vintages trade for these days, but I paid $55 whenever I bought it.

A friend also recently shared a 97 Dunn Howell Mountain with me. We decanted two hours before dinner and then drank it slowly. The last sip was the best. We should have decanted much longer.

Concur on the ‘97 Napas, really dig them.
Italian wines in general killed it in ‘97. I still have Brunellos that drink fabulously, my last Flaccianello and LePergole Torte were both great too.

If you can find it, 1997 Jadot Clos des Ursules should still be in good form.

Echoing some other suggestions, Napa cab, Piedmont and Tuscany for reds; Alsace and Austria for whites. Very warm vintage in many wine regions so I’d suggest opting towards more traditional producers. I had a 97 Marcarini Barolo Brunate on NYE and it was in great shape. I know you said avoiding the sweeter wines but 97 was a widely declared vintage in port and those wines are still on the upswing and should be found easily under $100. Not a fan of most of the red burgs, bordeaux, and N and S rhone although I’m sure there are good exceptions.

Deleting duplicate post

Huet Vouvray for sure.

It was the last of the great trio of 95-97 vintages. Those were the days my friends…

1 Like

While I’m not generally a '97 Burg fan, Jacques Lardiere really had a feel for the vintage, and most Jadots are a good bet.
Since you mention Sauternes, if sweet wines a possibility, think Loire- you had probably find the excellent Foreau Reserve or any of the Huets in your price range.

1997 Vilmart Cuvee Creation (if you want a champagne) should be in a great spot

Ch. Climens made lovely Barsac in 1997 and the residual sugar should help preserve it.

Also, Zilliken’s Saarburger Rausch gka was outstanding in 1997.