TN: Two Cornalins....(short/boring)

Tried two Cornalins this weekend:

1. Caves des Onze Cornalin Dd’OC: Vallee d’Aoste (13%; HandPickedSlctns/Warrenton/VA; www.caveonzecommunes.it/) 2016: Med.color w/ slight bricking; some earthy/loamy rather floral/edelweiss/Alpine flowers quite fragrant slight herbal rather complex nose; rather tart/tangy some earthy/loamy fairly floral/Alpine flowers/lilacs somewhat rich bit rustic/earthy flavor w/ modest tangy tannins; very long rather rough/rustic rather floral/Alpine flowers/lilacs bit earthy/loamy finish w/ modest rough tannins; pretty classioc Vd’A Cornalin fairly fragrant bit earthy/rustic expression of Cornalin; great tasty red for the price. $17.50 (KK)

1. Jean-Rene Germanier Cornalin Rouge du Pays Reserve AOC: Valais (13%; www.JRGermanier.Ch; SchatziImprts/Milan/NY) GillesBesse/Ventroz/Valais/Suisse 2015: Med.dark color w/ slight bricking; very strong floral/lilacs/violets/spicy slight earthy/herbal very perfumed/fragrant almost Pinotish some pencilly/Fr.oak almost Burgundian nose; lightly tart/tangy fairly rich/lush very strong floral/lilacs/violets/very perfumed/spicy some pencilly/Fr.oak/Burgundian light earthy/dusty/OV fairly smooth rather complex flavor w/ modest bit tangy tannins; very longh/lingering strong floral/lilacs/violets slightearthy/dusty fairly pencilly/Fr.oak fairly complex finish w/ modest tannins; a very perfumed/floral/lilacs rather Burgundian beautiful Alpine red; needs another 3-5 yrs; on the pricey side like most Swiss wines but a beautiful expression of Cornalin & probably the best one I’ve tried. $74.00 (KK)

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. There are two related but distinct Cornalin varieties: Cornalin d’Aoste & Cornalin d’Valais. Cornalin d’Valais is a natural crossing from Aosta of PetiteRouge & Mayolet. Cornalin d’Aoste is a croxxing of Cornalin d’Valais & an unknown, probably extinct, variety. Cornalin is also grown in the Valais where it is also known as HumagneRouge. Cornalin d’Valais is also known there as Landroter. Cornalin d’Aoste is now almost extinct in the Vd’Aoste, primarily replaced by HumagneRouge. Confusing?? Of course.
    Which Cornalin the Caves des Onze is not clear. The Valais Cornalin was clearly superior but probably not worth the price. Tasted side by side, I could not find a distinction of one variety from the other. But both very good/tasty reds.
    Tom

commercial post: I import the Cave des Onze Communes Cornalin.

Tom,

Thanks for the post. I love this wine. I did not know that there was a Swiss version until just now! I will ask the Cave des Onze Communes about their vineyard sources.

I thought your note was very accurate. Rough, rustic and floral are excellent descriptors. But I find it more mineral and less earthy than you do. I think it pairs best on cold (but not frigid) evenings with massively rich mountain food… enough acidity and deftness to lighten the caloric load, but not in weather that demands the thickest, highest alcohol reds.

Dan Kravitz

Yeah, Dan… I can see the mineral character in that wine.
Like many Vd’A reds, I really like that underlying floral character in them.
I often put my ear to the glass and swear that I can hear over on the yonder peak JulieAndrews… “the hills are alive…”!!
I also love their Tourette as well.
Rich mountain food would suit this ideally.
Tom