Wines That You Have Stopped Buying Because Of Cost?

Not really about 50 case productions of Burgs that have gone up 10 fold; but feel free to mention if you would so like. My much mentioned here, refusal to pay $200+ for the 2008 Comtes and now the similarly priced 2012 Dom are the most recent. After a decade of case purchases I stopped buying Bartolo Mascarello Barolo. And I purchased Tignanello since the 2004 vintage but stopped with the 2016s when the price got up to $130. I am sure that there are others. What are yours?

3 Likes

I’ve bought less 12 Dom because of the increase in price.

Lambrays is another one.

2 Likes

Gonon St. Jo.

5 Likes

Raveneau when it hit $200/ for premier cru, now over $300 and heading to $400.

1 Like

Littorai, especially the chards. Also Ridge Montebello, but that’s just because the futures used to be so cheap.

2 Likes

+1
[cry.gif]
Trapet is close for me. Scarecrow too.
Mugnier, Roulot Per,

Trapet is getting up there…

1 Like

Scarecrow

1 Like

Can’t you resell for more than cost?

Inniskillin, but have found good deals on ice wine through winebid…

5 Likes

That would go well with the caymus

Only when I pair it with a ring pop.

1 Like

This thread could include wines I would like to buy but stopped buying because they are out of line with my wine buying budget. A bunch of left bank Bordeaux fall in that category for me. But it could also include wines I can afford but stopped buying because they are not worth it. One example of the latter category is the Stonestreet Upper Barn chardonnay which was terrific in the $50-65 range; the 2018 is $150 and definitely not worth it imho.

1 Like

Basically everything over $100 which now includes (unfortunately) all Mike Smith Cabs and Rivers-Marie Cabs (I don’t find their Napa Valley bottlings to be compelling at $75 either). I did have to splurge on the 2018 MacDonald when I finally came off of the waiting list though. The latest vintages of Reynvaan and Saxum will be the last for them too. Cheers!

2 Likes

Two Buck Chuck, 100% price increase, insane… neener

1 Like

I almost posted that tbh. lol. I feel like I can say that because I worked in one for like 4 1/2 years. Every time it was forecasted to snow just a little everyone bought cases and cases.

3 Likes

Mostly Burgundy which has long since jumped the shark.
Especially Trapet.

1 Like

Grivot is all I can think of at the moment. Sadly, for the most part I’ve started buying more as the prices have increased. I don’t have decades of vintages in the cellar to fall back on, so I figure to stock up now before prices double or triple again from here.

2 Likes

Lots of stuff from my early days. Dominus has quadrupled in price. Many others in that category.

1 Like

Secondary price is pretty close to release price

4 Likes