Consolidated 2019 Beaujolais TN

Kickstarting a thread with this…
PXL_20211226_003759871.jpg
2019 Pascal Aufranc ‘Naturellement’ [Chenas] Wax topped, which meant chipping it away made a mess. According to the back label: 25 year old vines on a granite hillside at higher elevation, destemmed, concrete vats, native yeasts. 14.5% abv, light bodied, yet packs a punch. Has a kind of peppery, kool aid flavor. Bright purple robe. Described as a natural wine, and a sulfite sensitive family member was able to have a couple of glasses with no reaction, so that was a nice outcome. K&L direct import, and a great value at $11 for anyone on their Insiders list. B in my ledger for this crunchy red fruit flavored juice. I like Aufranc’s various wines, but usually get them through Rimmerman. NB The label is really different than other bottlings; it’s great that his Chenas are coming in via more more channels.

Please consider adding notes one might have on fresh releases into the consolidated thread.

PXL_20220611_001347608.jpg
I used to obtain Rottier’s wines via Rimmerman, as well as (once) from Flickinger, but K&L is now bringing them in too. The 2019 Richard Rottiers ‘Les Thorins’ [Moulin a Vent] is a chewy, tannic example of cru Beaujolais. All things considered, it’s ok, nothing thrilling for me, and if this had been the only example I’d ever have tasted, I would not repurchase. On the nose, there is muted rhubarb then dried flowers. Texturally, acid is on the higher side while tannin/earth/scorch comes across the palate. I would not consider this ‘picnic bojo’ to be drunk out of plastic crushy cups. On that note, I know the stem was the wrong choice, a prior pour in a Burg stem yest wasn’t any different/better and this was a different stem I wanted to test out. Overall, I’d slot this into the B zone. Props to the producers for the modern closure!

There used to be some efforts to combine vintage Bojo notes into consolidated threads, so I hope others might consider doing that!