Wine pairing for fettuccine alfredo

Anyone have successful paring recommendations? Wife is sending off the kids back home with her decadent fettuccine alfredo tonight. Earlier posts matched with chardonnay but I am wondering if there are others, especially since I realized I’ve only got exactly 1 bottle of chard, a Ridge Montebello. Thanks!

I think that’s a toughie.

Big ol Zin? Not too fruity, the sauce will accentuate the fruit.

Maybe a Petite Sirah? Retro cellars might work well here.

All that creaminess can overpower a ‘smaller wine.’

1 Like

I’ve found meursault to be a good pairing. Maybe a white rhone?

1 Like

Any high acid white works for me. Dry Austrian, German, or Australian Riesling. White Bordeaux, champagne, unoaked Chard, and any number of others. Soave would be good. Vinho Verde.

2 Likes

That would be my instinct, too. I’d want to avoid a white that was too rich, e.g., many California chardonnays, German riesling GGs or Austrian Smaragds. Seems like it would be better with something that had at least moderate acid or tannin to play off the richness.

3 Likes

Acidity to pierce that cream/cheese wall. Champagne ideally IMO.

1 Like

For tonight? I think the Chardonnay would probably work well , but what other whites do you have on hand?

For me, I might go with Fiano or a Vermentino.

1 Like

Northern Rhone whites, German and Austrian riesling - dry and sweet, Champagne - most styles covered, some Washington viognier, white Bordeaux, and a handful of orange wines from California and Foradori whites.

Yes, a higher acid white would seem to be good.

Which doesn’t mean you have to pick some thin trifle of a wine, though. Higher acid chardonnays (AFWE style California or Oregon, Burgundy, Chablis) would probably do quite well.

2 Likes

Yikes, I’m the only red/fettucine alfredo person.

Pardon me while I go examine my life. [cheers.gif]

1 Like

+1

I find that when the “standard” pairing is a higher acid white (e.g. cream sauces, pesto, etc.) that a leaner Pinot Noir or even a Beaujolais Cru can work very nicely. Lighter side of Grenache, too.

1 Like

I think this screams big Chardonnay (I’d grab an Aubert), but a big Champagne should do the trick if you don’t have a suitable Chardonnay.

1 Like

Well aged Carema or Gattinara

1 Like

Carpineto Dogajolo - 40% chardonnay, 30% Grechetto, 30% sauvignon blanc. Yes, SB, but blend matches wonderfully with fettuccini alfredo.

1 Like

3 Likes

I move that we ban Champagne as an answer in “what should I pair with this dish” threads. I mean, it’s like the free square on the bingo card.

4 Likes

Red or white, you need something with plenty of acid, and medium body. I have enjoyed both Etna Rosso and Bianco with pastas with rich cream sauce. The minerality works with well the bite of the cheese. Whatever color, I’d never choose a terribly serious wine with this dish, as subtleties might be lost. For me, it’s a dish for “peasant wine,” in the best sense of the notion.

4 Likes

Riesling is always the answer. Pairs with everything. [thumbs-up.gif]

Come to think of it - as for red, the last two Gamay’s I had (Arnot-Roberts and Failla) would both have been great choices.

1 Like

Off dry Riesling? Or is that every Riesling?

1 Like