TNs: Boxing day wines, mainly Piedmont / Tuscany

BOXING DAY AT NY VERDEN - (26/12/2021)

A Piedmont / Tuscan theme with a couple of extra French bottles thrown in.

• 2009 René Geoffroy Champagne Premier Cru Volupté - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru
    Consistent with previous bottle. Champagne that had broad appeal with its ripe fruit and being on the sweeter side. A crowd pleaser and a versatile pairing with food.
  • 2012 Azienda Agricola Montevertine Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT
    Almost no one was in Tuscany for this. For a warm vintage this was remarkably restrained, light on its feet with very pure dark cherry fruit. Lovely wine with silky tannins and an elegant, saline finish.
  • 2016 Luciano Sandrone Barolo Le Vigne - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Easy to tell that this was a young modernist Barolo - guessed 15 at first. At first I didn’t like this so much as the oak on the nose was obstrusive and the alcohol was showing a little too much. When I revisited this a few hours later at the end of dinner, it had become much more integrated. Superb concentration of fruit and exceptional length. Has all the makings of a great wine but needs a lot more time, so am glad this was opened by a generous friend instead of my own.
  • 2013 Fratelli Alessandria Barolo Gramolere - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    A pretty red-fruited nose with a little VA. On the palate it was a little darker with firm tannins and acidity. Traditional Barolo that needs more time for the structure to become less imposing.
  • 2004 Marchesi di Barolo Barolo Riserva - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Didn’t enjoy this, guessed Tuscan with a Cabernet Franc. A weird showing where the fruit is a dull and plummy, but yet a little green. Tannins have dried out.
  • 2008 Le Macchiole Scrio Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT
    Great wine for lovers of heavy oak use, massively extracted dark fruit, lots of tobacco and menthol. The nose suggested this was aged in barriques to oblivion. But for me this was way too monolithic and obnoxious, not in my wheelhouse at all.
  • 2005 Vecchie Terre di Montefili Bruno di Rocca - Italy, Tuscany, Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT
    Easy to guess as a Bordeaux grape dominant blend. Earthy greenness on the nose but the sweetness of fruit showed its Italian roots. Quite a modernist producer I think but relative to the Tua Rita and the Le Macchiole this was less over the top. Did not quite have the stuffing of a good Bordeaux.
  • 2010 Tua Rita Giusto di Notri Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT
    Darkest colour out of all the wines. A full, rich and luscious wine, but less obnoxious than the Le Macchiole. Lots of blackberry and mocha, felt like a modern Brunello actually.
  • 2002 Château Marquis de Terme - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux
    Similar to previous note, still in an excellent place. Old-school Bordeaux funk on the nose, some plum and cassis. Displayed the lightness of a Margaux but not qutie the elegance of the best producers. Still an excellent value.
  • 2008 Domaine du Vieux Télégraphe Châteauneuf-du-Pape La Crau - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Didn’t show like a CDP - nobody placed this correctly actually. Very restrained sweet cherries, but no raisin or pruney notes at all. Tannins have softened. Great wine from a cooler vintage.