PSA-60 Minutes Tonight -Segment on the Influence of Climate Change on Wines/Vineyards

Title says it all.

5 Likes

Wow!

Thank you!

Quick, someone go buy land 200 miles north of Napa.

Canada is more than 200 miles. LOL

Seriously, Canada can do decent Pinot now and in 10 years it’ll rival Oregon.

yields are down in bordeaux but every year is the vintage of the century

Just bought 100 acres off of Lake Superior in MN.

Planted with Grenache?

That was a very well done story (no pun intended!)…Most of us long-time Berserkers already knew that climate change was affecting wine-growing and the business of wine, but I still really enjoyed this 60 Minutes segment.

2 Likes

40% 60% will be Syrah. Just ordered some galets from the Rhone. Those cool breezes off of the lake will be perfect for Syrah. Planting the Grenache inland.

The soil’s iron content should be a heat sink on the Mesabi Range!

Can’t remember the last time I heard mention of 60 Minutes. I guess it’s still around.

Based on a BC PN we tasted (blind) a week ago I will take that action. All day.

So, in the words of George Costanza, care to make it interesting?

2 Likes

It’s not must see TV, but every now and again they have a good segment . Like this one.

I’m squarely in their demo, so this may seem especially on-target, but the reportage on 60 Minutes is usually outstanding. Long form TV journalism. They usually have one or two “topical” stories (COVID, climate, opioids etc) and a couple of less hard-hitting pieces (archeology, space, art etc). This one kind of straddled those categories, ad I thought some opportunities were missed and some liberties taken. Last week (?) they had a really interesting piece on excavations shedding light on Caligula, correcting some pretty common mistaken understandings.

I cannot remember anyone ever posting a rave note on a British wine of any sort, and indeed have a hard time recalling a note on a Brit wine at all. The idea propagated by the MW that they are already competitive with champagne seems to me to be complete marketing hokum. I would love to be educated if I am missing something.

3 Likes

I record it every week just in case I miss it.

1 Like

Concord?

FYI…the Somm Journal has done some stories on British wine, generally favorable.

I met Leslie Stahl once back when she looked good. My personal opinion is that 60 Minutes is a shadow of its former self with Scott Pelly and Anderson Cooper replacing Mike Wallace and Morley Safer…so I don’t watch. They heavily promoted this story on their other news shows.

1 Like

What decade is this? What does looks have to do with it? But I will say she “looks” positively amazing for her age and more importantly she’s an outstanding journalist.

5 Likes

Maybe California can use altitude in lieu of latitude.

Pope Valley?

More Angwin?

There’s another valley just east of Napa, I forget the name…perhaps it’s just a slight jump to the east?

You’re basing this on tasting one wine? :joy:

Both BC and Ontario wines have improved by leaps and bounds in the last 10 years. You’ll find some very, very good (if not excellent) wines these days, including Pinot. Like any region, there’s also a whole lot of average (and less than average) wine, and so, like any region, you need to know what to buy and what to avoid.