What is your current oldest bottle in inventory?

I don’t have many bottles pre-2000’s. 1975 Château Nairac right now oldest wine I have on hand, but plan on dabbling in some older ports next year. I was wondering where everyone’s vintage distribution is sitting at generally.

Follow up question which older wine have you tried recently that blew you away?

I suspect the Madeira holders will win this, but 61 Bordeaux and 67 Yquem are my current oldest.

Two bottles of 1926 Drouhin Corton. Opened one a few years ago… was still wine but hardly delicious. More something to look at than drink.

1 Like

Oldest all told would be an 1815 Bual, and I have a handful of 19th-century Madeiras and sherries. In dry wines, 1921 Montrose and '24 Haut Brion, then quite a few '28s and '29s. Oldest dry white is 1934 Lafon Charmes I think.

1 Like

1989 - A spring chicken compared to most of you, I’m sure.

Yeah that stuff is already oxidized ain’t nothing harming madeira.

Shame, but I feel that! My friend thought I was weird saying that vintage wine is like drinking history.

Her response: ew.

Wow early 1800s, did you ever try it? I do suspect many old old old bottles of wine that still taste good were slightly fortified for long storage. Did you find the older dry white wine still palatable?

At the moment, this one

1862 D’Oliveiras Sercial Reserva, dry only back to 77

1947 Borgogno Barolo
1947 Caillou Creme de Tete

1964 Bersano Barolo Riserva and 1964 Cantine Borgo Gattinara

1962 Barolo.

Not yet, but a Madeira will still be going strong!

Oldest “viable” dry, non-fortified whites I have drunk were from the 1920s but one is generally in a different register of flavors.

This is very good! I drank it in 2015.

1 Like

My parents went to a Thomas Jefferson event and somehow they were serving wine that was “similar” to what TJ would have drank. They said it was not good. :stuck_out_tongue: lol and TJ was like the original foodie imo for the colonies.

One of my absolute favorite areas for wine. Haven’t had that bottle, but I’m sure it’ll be fantastic.

1997:

Argiano Brunello di Montalcino
Von Strasser Cabernet Sauvignon Diamond Mtn
Ravenswood Monte Rosso Zinfandel
Chateau Souverain Cabernet Sauvignon Alexander
Valley