2006 F. Mugnier NSG Clos de la Marechale

More of a love letter than a tasting note. Just a beautifully balanced elegant refined delicious wine. More Mugnier than NSG with refined silky tannins. Such poise and balance. Pretty floral nose. Lovely intense ripe red fruits a little bit of sous bois and perfect acidity, length is excellent. Man I love Mugnier and this wine. flirtysmile For me Mugnier makes wines that are the essence of subtlety,elegance and refinement. Such a wonderful complete package that (was) so cheap on purchase. A fantastic wine and drinking right in the zone. Double yum + is my score.

I have a bunch of 2007’s. Anyone try one lately? Are they ready.

Based on Brodie’s note on the 2006, more than 10 years its junior, I’d guess no. :sweat_smile:

Sorry, meant to write 2007’s

Hi Brent, the 2007 Clos de la Marechale has been drinking beautifully for the last 6-7 years. Definitely open a bottle soon and post a note.

Brodie

1 Like

05 was singing recently.

08 good recently too, but needed decanting and a bit of time. Just a ‘single yum’.

Opened our first bottle of the 2010 last night. It was beguiling and for us, a great balance of primary red fruits and secondary aromatics that come with age.

+1 - the 05 Marechale was the best Mugnier I’ve had, and that includes some Musignys.

Wow, high praise indeed.
This thread is really interesting; I thought the conventional wisdom was that it took several years once Mugnier took over the vineyard (2004?) to attain their quality standards. I’m glad to own a few bottles of 2015/2016, but now I’m going to dig to see if I have any older vintages. [wow.gif]

Also, sounds from Brodie’s note that the 2005/2006 wines didn’t much resemble Faiveley’s earlier Marechale wines. I like NSG, but I like Chambolle more. flirtysmile
Thanks,
Peter

I’ve had a few bottles of 06 and 07 over the last 2 years, and they’ve all been singing beautifully. The one 05 I’ve had was quite muddled – but could definitely have been bottle variation.

Have only 1 bottle of 2005 in mag. Trying to find the right time to open this.

This is extremely annoying as I stupidly passed on buying any of the 2005 Clos de la Marechale (as I wanted to save my $$ for the Chambolle wines) and the NZ allocations got cut way back and I almost completely missed out. Talk about a dumb move

Never regret not buying a wine, especially one of such large production where you can always get another bottle if you pay $25 more. It’s not like not buying a house or something that might not ever become available again. But then again this is a wine internet site…

I’m sure that you mean well but more like $200-$300 more at this time.