Kevin Hart Guesses Cheap vs. Expensive Wines

Big fan of Sommelier André Hueston Mack. It’s a bit hard to watch B.A. content though after some bad practices, unfair wages, discrimination was revealed a few years ago. Many of the test kitchen contributors left the B.A. platform and it seems like B.A. is doing their best to create a more balanced environment (or so it seems).

Tangent aside I really think somms like André make wine very approachable. Enjoyed all the videos he’s been in.

12 Likes

That was great!

Thanks for sharing! Very entertaining.

I think Kevin did very well.

Good Brunello pricing can be all over the place.

If he hadn’t overshot on the Bourgogne everything would have fit better.

And the key point is, where are we getting these price targets? Is this MSRP or pricing at the expensive store close to his house or WSP pricing?

B.A.'s test kitchen is in New York, but I’m not sure if they’re filming this there. I wouldn’t expect wine prices to be too bad since NY is such a hub. Although the remote Andre shot most recently made me think he was in the pacific northwest.

WTSO has a ton of Brunello’s over the last few years for under $35.00. Maybe some good ones I missed.

1 Like

Yea, I paid $175 for my 2011 Poggio di Sotto. Three hundo is bananas!

1 Like

Maybe they shot this in LA where everything is marked up :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Andre Mack makes PN up in Oregon these days, doesn’t he? So he was likely to be up there.

Kevin Hart is so ubiquitous that there must be multiples of him. He’s basically getting the rank ordering correct, and he did it on the Mayacamas even though he doesn’t like Cab generally.

Stay for the end, the foot discussion (not a typo) is worth the price of admission.

I also thought it was funny that they’re using the Josephine glasses that Keith Levenberg said look like a plastic water bottle someone stepped on.

The video series is fantastic, he did a great one on boxed wine a couple months ago.

Thanks for posting this, very fun. I thought he did pretty well overall except, as others have said, not hitting the price category very well. That’s probably to be expected as he probably doesn’t do much of his own shopping or just orders at restaurants.

This was entertaining but it’s barely about wine. Maybe 2 minutes out of 24 on tasting, the rest random (funny) interview chat with Hart.

In 2000, I did a $7 vs. $70 blind tasting of 6 different varietals for a table full of 8 co-workers who all claimed they couldn’t tell the difference cheap and expensive wine. One was our boss, who prompted this by saying she “couldn’t tell the difference between a $7 bottle and a $70 bottle.”

4 of the 8 got all six correct. 3 others got 5 of 6. And then there was our boss, who apparently really can’t tell the difference between a $7 and a $70 bottle of wine.

3 Likes

Going 6/6 is pretty impressive and even more that 7/8 got either 5 or 6 right. Expensive doesn’t always mean good, though I suppose $7 usually means pretty bad. A $17 vs $70 would be much harder.

For some people $70 is like $7 to them.

Bill Gates during an AMA guessed how much milk was… he was wildly off. Apparently $100 to him is the same as $2 to us.

That was well done and very enjoyable to watch. Not sure I could break into those five categories either but landing one away seems as if it’s close enough.

The gapping of $100 - $200 seems like it could easily challenge many of us on both sides of those two tiers especially without any pre-defined varietal or location. IMO for me at least.

Love the boss findings :slight_smile:

Yep have 2 bottles in my cellar that were around that price. I would not buy these at $300.

I like how you can drop Kevin Hart into any type of interview and he’ll do well cause he’s very personable. The interview series he did with athletes is pretty lol.