Champagne Shortages For The Holidays

It’s really apparent at local retailers where I live. With all of the problems with national shipping, it would seem purchasing out of state would be risky at best. Also, where and under what conditions are the shipments sitting that would ordinarily be delivered at this time of year?

Mr. Obvious says that’s what wine cellars are for.

I’m not looking to buy but I do get a lot of offers from NYC area retailers for champagne.

2 Likes

For the past month or more, my friends still working retail or managing have been complaining about obtaining such “mundane” items as Orange Label Veuve, basic Moet-Chandon including Dom Perignon… When Binnys can’t keep their shelves full in anticipation for the holidays, something is wrong. Load up when you find the product.

1 Like

There are definitely shortages of basic stuff at the wholesaler level, so it bleeds down. If you wanted to dedicate yourself to big brands, you had the opportunity to buy in Sept and Oct, at least here in NY.

That said, there is no shortage of Champagne here. People just have to look at smaller producers. Most retailers I know DGAF and they are charging $65 for Vueve. It’s the Santa Margherita effect–if you want the big brand, then you can pay for it, or try this better and cheaper stuff you haven’t heard of before.

1 Like

I was at my local shop last week, and watched someone scratch their head staring at a shelf full of grower stuff, Roederer Brut Premier, Bollinger, Piper, Ruinart, etc…but they were told to get Vueve and there wasn’t any. I recommended a few (better) options but they seemed unconvinced.

2 Likes

yup…I worked retail for 25 years…for some reason, confusion reigns in the champagne aisle…getting people away from the Veuve, White Star, Brut Premier and into the “mysteries” of grower or smaller brands is like pulling teeth. With Moet and Veuve choosing to raise pricing to $50-60 range the shelves are bulging with much better choices…like Laherte Freres, Pierre Paillard, Marguet, Suenen, Chartagne-Taillet, Bereche, and Ulysse Collin.

I walked through my local Costco last week and they had a couple of palates of VC yellow label and basic Moet.

I’ve been loading up for 25 years

2 Likes

There’s LOTS of champagne to buy. Perhaps not THE one you want any any given time, but there’s plenty available.

A friend of mine just got married on the beach in Hawaii. Looks like he spent a pretty penny for the event. But then his photographer had a picture of their wedding cake with Cook’s Sparkling Wine on the beach. Guess there’s no shortage of that cuvée!

there is no helping stupid.

3 Likes

Have this occurrence on the daily. Veuve has been OOS for months and we were only able to get 1 sneaky shipment of Veuve with the ice jacket. The rose finally came back somehow so we stocked a case just this week on the shelves. We diversified our sparkling wines So we were doing a bit of domestic as well as some lesser known champagne producers. Then we have people who want champagne champagne for $20 I’m like uh… we have some cremants?

1 Like

Seeing tons of offers as well locally and nationally. Don’t buy much Champagne as it typically is not good on day 2/3 or as good. My wife does love the Roederer Brut Anderson Valley which for $20 is better than half of the NV Champagnes I have tasted.

I have 12 at home in case there was all empty shelves in December but it’s not that bad in the stores. I have been telling people for the last 3 months we’ll always have a high quality sparkling wine / champagne, but if you want something VERY specific buy it when you have the chance otherwise no guarantees.

I was talking to a large local distributor last week and they indicated Champagme stock was very low and they anticipated shortages coming into the end of the year. Mostly supply chain related, there’s a lot of juice on order that should have been here two months ago but is still en route.

Luckily I am well stocked as we typically prefer a bit of bottle age vs fresh disgorgements, so we won’t have any supply issues here. :cheers:

I haven’t seen shortages of any wine whatsoever.

Think Wine Advocate gave the current NV 93. Not quite there for me but the note tonight after stealing a glass from my wife.
NV Roederer Estate Brut Anderson Valley - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (12/4/2021)
Another solid bottle. Sour apples, orange peel, dough, spice and chalk. Medium finish and good acidity. The best for $20.00 in Sparkling wine. (90 points)

Similar shortages have been hitting the UK as well.

1 Like

No shortages in the Chang house I’m sure. [cheers.gif]

Only shortage here is a lack of proper mags, but we’ll survive.

champagne.gif

Amazing the cost of a wedding and the garbage being poured at them. I am sure they charged them $35.00 a bottle for the Cook’s. Never forget an event I was at where they poured Salmon Creek Sparkling. That might be a level below Cook’s.

1 Like