Wines you have Hated

I always find it interesting to read notes on wines people have disliked. Not flawed wines, just wines that are offensive to your palate in spite of being correct.

I had a 201(?) Roches Neuves Les Memoires the other night. Thin, weedy, rotten smelling. Jonathan told me it was a correct bottle, though very tight, and he drank most of it. But I couldn’t manage more than 2 sips. Hated it.

Anyone else want to share?

I wondered about that when I saw the photo in your instagram post, before reading it.

this might seem a cheesy, but i can’t really wrap my head around this idea. i honestly believe i can learn something from any wine. perhaps especially from the ones i dislike.

Almost every Gruner Veltliner I’ve had, save one or two. Too many flavors, like black pepper juice, that don’t belong in white wine.

I don’t like excessive Brett or acid. 2017 Enderle & Moll Pinot Noir Basis was almost vinegar.

Cru Beaujolais often tastes thin, chalky, and acidic to my palate.

Natty wines that brag about how little winemaking they do.

2 Likes

Dry rieslings with a too dominant petrol/rubber note. Just not my thing. I can handle the note better with some sweetness. Hate might be going overboard though😁

1 Like

If you need to unload any, sounds like it’s right up Alfert’s alley.

2 Likes

I’m pretty tolerant of many things that bother other folks in wines (eg brett and small to moderate amounts of VA), but for some reason, I can’t stand the pickle juice/dill component that overwhelms some Riojas. La Rioja Alta has been the most common offender from the 90’s and early 2000’s. Hopefully they’ve changed things, but I haven’t been motivated to go back.

2 Likes

Gooey, unctuously thick wines. I also seem to have lost my taste for the highy intense higher abv beers made locally. I used think that Dechutes Abyss was a cool beer, and I can’t drink it anymore.

3 Likes

Cabernets with a bell pepper streak in them. Bell peppers are one of the few foods I can’t stand and ditto the flavor in my wine!
[swearing.gif]

2 Likes

I don’t like Condrieu, although I can’t say I’ve tried too many examples. I think it’s the low acid that gets me, as it comes across as big and flabby.

1 Like

Not any specific wines, just generally those fruity esters in very young wines. To me, they homogenize wines that are drunk too young, making all the wines taste like cheap, sub-$10 Aussie Cab-Shiraz blends. (That’s basically because I’ve worked for too many years in wine retail where I’ve tasted through all too many inexpensive new world reds that all taste the same, mainly because they’ve released to the market as soon as possible and bottled under screwcaps which retain those youthful fruity flavors for a long time.) All too often I’ve opened some great world-class wines too soon after release and ended up with a wine that is all about that anonymous primary fruit, showing very little if any character.

Another thing that often bugs me is that pronounced crème de cassis / blackcurrant jelly aroma that one can find some new world Cabs, especially those that come from Chile. I’ve no problems with any herbaceous bell pepper notes - on the contrary, I love them - but that artificial cassis character is something I detest in most wines.

The same with Cab Franc.

Can’t believe I’m the first to say it, but Pinotage.

1 Like

She learned that she intensely disliked the wine. What mystical lesson would you expect her to learn?

1 Like

Apart from the obvious choice, Cos ‘09, I tasted something a lot worse on Friday. Mollydooker with some age. I never got to see vintage etc, but it tasted a meld of bug spray, prunes and spoiled meat. Utterly disgusting.

Torrontes. Like drinking pot pourri.

All of my well-cellared 1998 Beaucastels transformed from beautiful CdP to undrinkable barbecue sauce about a decade ago.