95 Mt Pleasant Elizabeth Semillon, 98 Wendouree Cab Malbec & 99 de Vogue Musigny

1995 Mount Pleasant Elizabeth Semillon. A moderate amount of ullage, a terrrible mold infested cork - almost to the base. An auction purchase from 8.5 years ago. Not promising signs. Colour was mid and dark yellow but the nose and palate are pristine. Pure lemony nose with a bit of dried apricot and and a just a touch of the woolly lanolin thing. Palate is amazingly youthful and bright with lovely fresh citrus fruits, bright acidity and a smooth round finish… Not really much in the way of toast or honey. Pure and clean and long. The cork did its job (only just but thanks!)
20211128_100154.jpg
1998 Wendouree Cab Malbec Immaculate cork, Dark red colour, enticing florals and spice on thr noe. Deep powerful rounded full bodied palate that goes on and on and on. Definite earthy and menthol notes to the palate. Finish is intense and very long. Tannins are fully integrated. This is definitelyeady to drink but no hurry. A wonderful expression of Wendouree iron fist in a velvet glove (to quote James Halliday). Wow this was good, very impressive showing

1999 de Vogue Musigny

So you invite a friend over for lunch and this is what he brings! Decanted an hour and half before drinking. Really hit the spot between hours 2 and 3. Mid red no bricking, Initially the nose was definitely funky and earthy and a bit stinky. An hour later the stink was gone and a lovely floral and earthy nose. This bottle was (to me anyway) surprisingly wide open and absolutely wonderful to drink right now. Long deep plate of red fruits, earth and spice, complex long finish with very fine silky integrated tannins and lovely acidity. Keep evolving and developing the entire time. It actually tasted younger and fresher after 3 hours than it did when first tasted. I was initially underwhelmed but but the end it was a the full GC experience.
20211128_143246.jpg

1 Like

Brodie,

That’s a well chosen friend.

Thanks for your fine notes on a very nice set of wines. I found a lone bottle of the '99 Elizabeth that I will drink soon.

Hope all is well with your family,

Best,

T

Thanks Brodie. Lovely brace of wines.

Thanks Brodie.

Really interesting note on the Semillon.
It has been my experience that when old whites are served they can at times disappoint, and I find myself thinking that I would often have preferred the wines when younger. However when old Semillon is served more often than not they are showstoppers and so much more interesting than the young versions.

I finally had my first Wendouree, a 2013 Cab Malbec. Terrific young wine, and now under screwcap. I wish those weren’t so hard/expensive to get in the US.