TN: 2007 Chateau Magdelaine (to cleanse the sex bomb 2015 Canon out of my mouth)

Amazing how Magdelaine performs in so-called off-years!

This 2007 is open for business and is so damn enjoyable. Impeccable balance and weight, so food friendly. Really pretty perfume of light Bordeaux funk, sous bois, petrichor and fragrant red fruits. Bramble and spice to the fruits, tobacco leaf, tilled soil, soft plums, and some closing blood orange citrus notes. Tannins largely resolved, just lovely round merlot fruit and earth in this elegant beauty. In the zone and likely not for the long haul.

(92 pts.)

PS. Moved on to a 2012 Sociando Mallet that I opened three nights ago, and forgot about 1/3 bottle in the regular fridge. Still showing great, with some nice spice kick. These are both food wines, not blockbusters. I’ll take these all day long over the critics’ darlings like that 2015 Canon.

27DF2C93-C9E0-4FCF-BC47-A17A20AED9F0.jpeg
Look at that clarity and color!

3 Likes

Damn - I missed out recently on some 07s - have to get a couple now - thanks for the tip!

Great note- I really like the 2007. FWIW while I do think it is showing well now, I suspect it will reveal a bit more in time and has a good life ahead of it.

It is a slightly bigger and more aromatic 1992 IMHO, and the 1992 is still in a good place.

I am not sure why, perhaps the state of the economy at the time the wine was released- but the 2007 Magdelaine has been an elusive find in the US until recently. I got my case about 5 years ago, and recently it continues to pop up here and there at an insanely low price relative to what you get.

EDIT- here is my note from May 2019 FWIW,

medium bright red color, lovely nose of fruits from the black and red sides of the spectrum, forest floor notes already showing, bramble, on the palate a light to mid-weight fruit with a generous sweet side, already showing beautifully but it has the potential to develop further into a lacey and beautiful luncheon wine, lovely fragrant finish, a more vibrant version of the 1992. (), 2025+

Tom I had the remaining 1/4 bottle last night, picked up a bit more weight and just a gorgeous moist soil note. I would not call this a luncheon wine - I do understand you reference, however - I paired it with gourmet meatloaf, roasted potatoes and asparagus, and it worked very well. I do agree after this second day following it that it will show more goods along the maturity curve.

I have a six-pack of 2012 Sociando to pick up from Garagiste, the P.S. in your note is making me want to make the trip and grab 'em.

Ha, I could not resist the temptation either!

Thanks for the note, Robert!
I have some '07 and was wanting to open a Bordeaux with steak this weekend, so I just might go there. On the other hand, I could go with a '90 Jaguaret or a '96 BAMA; we’ll have to see.

Always a good read for me when it’s a Magdelaine. Thanks.

Rookie question here. In reference to the thread subject line, since when is a sex bomb wine a bad thing?

Wow wow, a 90 Jaguaret is unicorn!

Thanks for the note, RA… When I was first getting into Magdelaine, I used to think it was best avoided in lighter styled vintages and that was a mistake as I missed loading up on the 01, 04, 08, and 11. Definitely sounds like I need to add 07 to that list!