TN: 2017 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Himmelreich Riesling Kabinett halbtrocken

• 2017 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Himmelreich Riesling Kabinett halbtrocken - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (11/25/2021)
    Day 1: The aroma is the star here floral, slate and pear. The palate is very thin and lacks fruit, maybe a bit of pear. Floral and dust on this short finish. Not sure why I bought this wine to be honest as the cellar tracker average is low overall and now just got even lower with my review. 84 points
    Day 2: Better on day 2 especially the palate. Slate, pear, sour apple and orange peel. Nice acidity and longer finish. It was almost in a dumb phase on day 1 but in a much better place now. 88 points
    Day 2.5: Had success with this last week. More peach which I love in German wines along with honeysuckles, slate, minerals, sour apple and wafer. Certainly even better than day 2.0. 90 points
    Day 3: Delicious featuring peach, slate, sour apple, minerals, orange peel, lime and touch of sweetness on the finish. Nice acidity overall. What an evolution on this wine. 91 points
    Recommendation: Again never judge a wine based on day 1. This wine had nothing going on day 1 but blossomed into a very nice wine for under $20.00. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I go back to 2004 with this wine, on a recommendation from David Schildknecht. It’s a wonderful value, and darned versatile as well. I can imagine that the 2017 is a bit shut down, thus needing air to show its best. The 2018 was showing very well (if richer than normal due to vintage style) last week.

Any experience with the Sonnenuhr Spätlese halbtrocken? I picked up a couple of bottles of the 99 recently.

Not in a very long time.