TN: 3 Cote Roties

I recently took delivery of some auction winnings, including 3 different lots of Cote Rotie. I sampled one of each over a recent weekend and thought I’d share my impressions. All were definitely different but very enjoyable.

1999 Pierre Gaillard Côte-Rôtie Cuvée Unique Viallieres - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (11/14/2021)
Decanted for sediment. Fruit forward with lots of cherry which became more candied (not in a bad way) with time. Some menthol and tar, and a bit of oak, but not obtrusive. Quite enjoyable. (94 pts.)

2006 Jean-Michel Gerin Côte-Rôtie Champin le Seigneur - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (11/13/2021)
Decanted for sediment. Good, but a bit short and closed. Some black fruits, earth, and leather with firm tannins showing. Seemed to open a bit over the course of a couple of hours, but still not too expressive. (92 pts.)

2013 Marie et Pierre Bénetière Côte-Rôtie Cordeloux - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (11/12/2021)
Firmly tannic and chewy with a solid core of red fruits. A bit of a stemmy green streak, but not offputting, Tastes very old school, with no new oak showing, lots of underbrush, leather, and a bit of menthol and camphor. Should continue to develop very well. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for these notes. I think the 2013 Bénetière has a long life ahead of it. I opened one in 2016 soon after receiving my order from Robert Panzer and decided to abide the Rule of 15 for the rest.

I’ve not been much of a fan of Gaillard or Gerin but I’d have liked to try these.