100 Most Amazing Sonoma County Wines

From the Press Democrat. The 100 most amazing wines in Sonoma County

I don’t agree with the list, but interesting nonetheless.

Interesting, if largely unfamiliar list.

Couple of good mentions for Ramey.

Were Bedrock, Martinelli and Williams Selyem included? Can’t have a best of Sonoma list without them.

Not that I noticed. Carlisle and Ridge were there.

Desire Lines, O&F, Arnot-Roberts, Old Hill?

Anyway, not a bad thing to see some new names.

1 Like

Huh. Like a mix of mostly grocery store wines with a few of the top producers. Very strange list??

I think it’s a good list for the intended audience. Also, I only see a couple wines you could find in a grocery store so not sure where you are getting the impression that these are mostly grocery store wines.

Decent list, but so many names I’ve never heard of before.

Yeah, you might be right. Not as familiar with many of those producers so assumed they might be found on the shelves of CA grocery stores or something…but maybe I’m just not in the know.

Do you know most of them? Would be interested in hearing your thoughts if so. Cheers!

I’d say I know about 75% of them but I live in Sonoma County. Lots of great producers to seek out on the list. These are some on the list that I like that haven’t been mentioned:

Kanzler
Aldina
Rafanelli
Aperture
Three Sticks
Mathis
Blue Farm
Alma de Cattleya
Wilson
Jeff Cohn
Pax Mahle
Raft
Unti

Pax and Rafanelli were both on the list.

All those are on the list. I was just pointing them as some of my favorites that maybe aren’t as well known.

Pax comes up a lot around here, both positive and controversial.

Ok you can ignore that one then.

Kind of a non-Berserker list. Nothing too odd or expensive. Clearly they were aiming at a particular price range. Maybe two or three things here (Ridge, Ramey) I’d be pretty happy to drink but not much I’d consider amazing. Middle of the road. Targeted to a specific audience.

1 Like

Great list… Know most of them. Hardly obscure wineries out here

1 Like

Seriously? How can you list 20 Pinots and not include either a Dehlinger or a Rochioli Pinot?

Top 100 lists are always going to be debatable (and a lot of work to build in the first place). I simply recognize one producer as Winery of the Year and don’t expect it to be news 24 hours later.

As someone mentioned above, mostly grocery stores wines.
Anyway, any list of the best Sonoma wines without Marcassin is a farce.
Where are Aubert, Martinelli, Kistler, Peter Michael even Morlet ?
A joke.

Couple of thoughts on some not there.

1. They didn’t send samples
  2. Could this be a pay to play?