Justin Willett Acquires Fiddlestix Vineyard

https://mailchi.mp/vinousmedia/breaking-news-justin-willett-acquires-iconic-fiddlestix-vineyard?e=fe4659a670

His Tyler wines are great - good for him!

Maybe it’s just me but I’ve never warmed up to wines made from Fiddlestix and I’ve tried multiple producers and vintages. It truly seems to be something about the vineyard. But I really like the Tyler wines so curious to try after they have had control for a few vintages.

It’s a pretty big story indeed. It’s a large vineyard so my guess is that he’ll continue to sell fruit to others, at least for the short to medium term. It also sounds like he’ll be grafting some of the pinot vines over to chardonnay - makes sense for all of the types of wines that he produces. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him graft some over to possibly gruner or riesling as well - something we’re seeing more of in the Sta Rita Hills.

Something else to note about this vineyard - it backs up to a large cannabis grow and there were lawsuits threatened about organic sprays used at the vineyard that ‘naturally drifted’ over to the cannabis. I’m assuming that was disclosed and hopefully there will be no problems moving forward.

Cheers

Interesting. Some research in Australia on the eucalyptus notes sometimes found in wines indicates proximity to the actual trees is what contributes to it.

Anybody interested in some “dank” Pinot?

Very well known in Napa’s Martha Vineyard.

Yep, this research is very pertinent here and is a part of a jumping off point for even more research that is currently being conducted.

Cheers

Who else is grafting over to Riesling? I think it’s the perfect region for it, actually.