TNs: Assorted wines over the past week

My palate isn’t fully back yet but at least I am enjoying wines more now compared to a couple of weeks ago!

• 2015 Guillaume Gilles Vin de France Les Peyrouses - France, Vin de France (16/11/2021)
    Had very good weight and structure for an unclassified wine, but also had that sleek and polished feel that I get from his wines (in a good way). Definitely has the sauvage quality of a Cornas but with plenty of red fruit behind it. Absolutely love this producer.
  • 2016 Domaine Daniel Rion et Fils Vosne-Romanée Village - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée (16/11/2021)
    Much better experience compared to the NSG from the same vintage. Made in a rustic, traditional style but still had a lovely, typical Vosne nose. Darker fruit and more tannins than the new-school silky style. Lots more to give but no harm drinking this now.

NO THEME NIGHT - (18/11/2021)

• 2015 Domaine Potinet-Ampeau Monthélie Blanc - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Monthélie
    Still very youthful and unresolved, unsurprisingly for a producer that does late releases. Floral, aromatic nose that might not have led me to Chardonnay if blinded, round and ripe fruit on the palate but not overdone.
  • 2017 Domaine Coffinet-Duvernay Chassagne-Montrachet Les Blanchots Dessous - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Chassagne-Montrachet
    First time trying this illustrious plot albeit the village bottling. Showed glimpses of its potential but not quite together yet. Somewhat woolly nose, high acid and elegant texture but could do with a little more intensity of fruit.
  • 2016 Au Bon Climat Pinot Noir La Bauge Au-dessus - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Maria Valley
    Popped and poured, new-world aromas of dark cherry fruit that became earthier with air, so some stem inclusion I think. Liked this more a couple more hours in when it became more savoury, good freshness and not too heavy or plodding like some other CA pinots.
  • 2019 Serafin Père et Fils Gevrey-Chambertin Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin
    Wanted to check in on a 2019 given the hype but not quite sure what to make of this. On opening this was structured and tight but got rather pruney with air. On second day it was still quite dark-fruited but showed better restraint.
  • 2019 Caveau de Bacchus Poulsard Arbois Cuvée des Docteurs - France, Jura, Arbois
    Very natty nose with some VA going on. Light without much structure but the acid was so high that it carried the mouthfeel of the wine.
  • 2001 Zind-Humbrecht Pinot Gris Rangen de Thann Clos St. Urbain - France, Alsace, Alsace Grand Cru
    Deep gold in colour, showed some tertiary development with nutty aromas. Smelled sweeter than it tasted. Surprisingly tight on opening but with air it showed a certain class, very tropical and rich fruit but slightly lacking in acidity. Even better on the second day, a better balance to the wine with a sensual finish.

• 2012 Prager Riesling Federspiel Steinriegl - Austria, Niederösterreich, Wachau (22/11/2021)
    Under screwcap. Slightly off-dry, barely any development. Didn’t have the exotic fruit that I sometimes get from riper vintages in Austria but instead it had lots of tart yellow fruit accompanied by an impressive steely minerality. Liked this a lot, a textbook Riesling. Just a shame this producer is so difficult to source here.
  • 2015 Girolamo Russo Etna Feudo - Italy, Sicily, Etna DOC (22/11/2021)
    A brooding yet surprisingly light wine. Dark raspberries and cherries on the nose with grippy and grainy tannins on the palate that gave way to a very saline finish. The acidity stuck out a little on the first day but became more balanced the day after.

• 1993 Château Bouscassé Madiran - France, Southwest France, Madiran (21/11/2021)
    Much better than the Cuvee Prestige previously from the same vintage, not overly green or bretty. Traditional winemaking with the structure and tannins to last forever, but the dark fruit is rather soft now even though it is still a muscular wine. Not going to improve from here.