TN: TWEC (TM) Pre-Birthday Dinner Dinner at Sash in Toronto

Foodies,

The Toronto Wine Elitist Cabal ™ celebrates 3 out of 4 of the founding members’ birthdays in October and November. We had booked our birthday wine and tasting menu dinner at Langdon Hall which I’ll post over in Wine Talk due to the special wines we had. However, I spontaneously asked TWEC ™ members Jay Shampur and Michael Wright to join me in a pre-birthday dinner dinner over at Sash restaurant earlier in the week. We ordered a standard NV Champagne off of the standard list and opened one special sweet wine out of my collection for the evening. Before I get to that TN, though, let me whet your appetites:

We started off with a trio of appetizers. First off was my Heirloom Tomato Salad with black plums, tomatoes, smashed olives, pickled onions, mizuna, cumin champagne vinaigrette:

20211118_205443.jpg
Mr. Wright had the classic Beef Tartare special with grainy mustard, fried egg, microgreens and crisp toasted baguette rings:

20211118_205456.jpg
20211118_213910.jpg
For our mains, I had the Seared Diver Scallops with Mushroom and Leek Canneloni dressed with sweet summer corn, tomato shallot relish, sorrel, and lemon butter:

20211118_205459.jpg
Jay had the Prawn special with Seafood Shumai Dumplings which came with two sides of a Baby Peruvian Potatoes and Wild Mushrooms in onion confit and meuniere sauce and Biryani Rice:

20211118_213924.jpg
20211118_223030.jpg
Michael had the Drunken Lobster with Crisp Rice Cake on the side and dressed with Chanterelles, spinach, peas, and lemon butter:

20211118_213914.jpg
And then, just because it was our birthdays, Michael convinced us to live large and order the Dover Sole special which is flown in from France every day:

20211118_213920.jpg

For dessert, I had the Chocolate Pot de Creme with raspberries and cookie crumble:

20211118_214008.jpg
Jay had the Fresh Fruit with Indian Ice Cream:

20211118_223036.jpg
And our special wine of the evening was the Anselmann 2013 Riesling Beerenauslese. This wine is holding up well though the maderization is now advanced and is dark in the glass. 173g of RS/L, just missing the 180-210 mark required to qualify for a Trockenbeerenauslese under the Austrian wine system. But let’s be clear, this is a TBA in all but name only. You’re hit with the sweetness, caramel, intense acidity, rancio and graham flavors pretty much all at once. Body seems a lot lighter than when I last tried it though:

2BRNyzsGQIWjuUuyQr-ByA_375x500.jpg
We would like to thank Chef Sash, our server Catherine, our bartender Bobby and the rest of the floor and kitchen staff for another great dinner. The menu changes over this month and we will be returning to try it out.