Cleaning wine glasses.

How do you go about cleaning your glasses and decanters. It seems no matter what I do I can’t get them “spotless”

1 Like

Lots of threads but this one comes to mind.

Scrub with a warm, thin solution of vinegar and Joy or Ajax dish soap, using a paper towel, rinse with warm water, and dry with a flour-sack dish towel.

dishwasher without anything else and using the heated dry has done it for me. Usually just have to wipe the rim after

Otherwise, if somebody wants REALLY clean vessels, just throw the used ones into the glass recycling pile, and open a box of brand new ones.
After all, the cost of glassware is minor, compared to the cost of a nice bottle of wine.

Decanter brushes help with build-up inside decanters. But I usually end up resorting to denture tablets. Pop one or two in the decanter with warm water and leave it there for a few minutes, and that usually removes stains and anything that has precipitated and stuck to the glass.

Just make sure to rinse very well, because the tablets tend to be mint flavored. :smiley:

Chlorine bleach also works for both glasses and decanters, and the chlorine evaporates fairly quickly so, despite what you might think, it doesn’t leave any residual aroma.

1 Like

In addition to some of the above…… Don’t leave wine or wine residue in the glass over night. Rinse the glass with water and wash them the next morning-by hand or in the dishwasher.

Passing this along to my butlers.

Throw in the dentures, to remove THEIR wine stains, while at that.

That is the big one for me. I always dry them with paper towels with no scent. Anything towel with a dryer sheet used seems to add some aromatics. It seems harder to find dryer sheets that are not over the top scented.

My butlers do that. Yours do not? [swoon.gif]

1 Like

I don’t use dryer sheets for this reason.

I tried this and it does work— we’re on well water with a fair about of mineral/scale build up and it required a bit of scrubbing as well. (Chlorine didn’t work for my issues at all.) You can also use a “glass cook top glass cleaner and polish” — works well but it’s much more work than the tablets.

The denture tablets never worked for decanters, the dishwasher did a great job.