2017 Barolo / Barbaresco : What have you bought / planning to buy

I have searched WB for a 2017 Piedmont / Barolo thread but only came up with a thread about AG’s scoring of the 2017’s. There was a robust 2016 Barolo thread a while back, most likely due to the hype of the 2016 vintage being and amazing vintage. I assume there is lack of interest for the 2017’s as it was a challenging and ripe year? If so what have you bought, or even what you are skipping in the 2017 vintage.

I bought quite heavily in the 2016 vintage, more than any other vintage by far. I have bought a few 2017s like Bartolo and Burlotto, but its only about 11% of my 2016 purchases.

Any thoughts on 2017 Piedmont in general?

I skipped my 17 allocations. Seems like it’s the worst vintage in recent memory. Makes it an easy pass.

I’ve been buying some, but expect I’ll land at 20% of total purchases compared to 2016, maybe less.

I find the lesser vintages helpful to have around, as I can drink them while the better stuff sleeps. The couple 17s I’ve had so far have been nice enough wines, not sure about the worst vintage in recent memory comment.

The 2017s I’ve tasted have been much stronger wines than I would have expected in a hot year. At least among the better producers - I haven’t tried a wide variety - the expression of the wines is quite classic, but they are lighter wines without the concentration of the '16s. For me the Elio Grasso Gavarini Chiniera and Vietti Rocche are standouts thus far. Vietti Castiglione is probably a good wine to try that is affordable to get a sense of the vintage. I’ve yet to try some of the top wines i.e. Conterno yet but I’d be surprised based on the reviews if his wines are not at or near the top in 2017, will try to taste them soon.

My sense is it’s a great vintage to buy some wines in if you like a classic expression but want a wine a bit more approachable now than the 2016s.

Personally I am buying less and being more selective producer-wise than in 2016. But I’ll buy:

Vietti Rocche
Grasso Gavarini/Casa Mate
Vajra BDV/Ravera & Baudana Cerretta/Baudana
Bartolo
G. Conterno Francia/Arione
F. Alessandria lineup
Burlotto Monvigliero/Cannubi

I bought more Burlotto than typical, mostly because I was offered it and I generally don’t get the opportunity. Bartolo was impossible for me to find at a decent price. And I bought a few bottles of F. Alessandria, about half of which I will open this year as a young horizontal.

I usually buy Vajra, and I’m looking for an opportunity, but I’m mostly hoping they go on sale at some point. And if they never do, I have plenty of other vintages in the cellar.

Bit of a broken record here, but I too have gone light(er) on ‘17. So far I’ve bought Vajra, Burlotto, Fratelli Alessandria, and Trediberri. I will try to buy Cappellano if I can find it. I’ll also look for Vietti, Sandrone and E. Grasso in end of year sales, but not going to try that hard.

Btw I have opened a few ‘17s. Burlotto and Fr. Alessandria Langhe Nebbiolos we’re both extremely good, especially for their price. If you haven’t tried the Fr. Alessandria, it’s a great view into the vintage, and has been consistently enjoyable. I popped a ‘17 Trediberri Rocche Barolo a few weeks back and I found it extremely impressive.

1 Like

Also reduced spending on 2017. The only allocation I continued with for 2017 was the Vietti Ravera.

Here’s a good thread by Otto that you may want to check:

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3347299

I will happily buy some Produttori Normale, some base Barolos and maybe a few other things as per normal. One of the things I love about wine is the contrast of vintages.

1 Like

I think it is a very decent vintage. The wines aren’t the perfection of 2016 but there is some excellent drinking to be had. Checked in on the Vietti Crus recently, splendid across the board. Have had a few wines from Vajra, Baudana and Burlotto, along with a few things we direct import. Plenty of pleasure derived.

3 Likes

Kinda find that most Barolo is priced at what the value is for top vintages.

As such, prices feel much too high for lesser vintages such as 2017.

Have pretty much skipped 2017, except for a small handful of producers that I buy every vintage. There’s still a fair bit of 2016 floating around as well from less hyped producers.

My take as well. E-Z pass.

Completely skipping 2017 myself. Loaded up on 16 so don’t really need a lesser vintage.

Barolo/Barbaresco to me are just like any other major wine region of the world. Producer first! Buy the producers you love and buy them every year.

3 Likes

I got a very small amount of Burlotto, which is about the same as I get any year of Burlotto. I may pick up a few Vajra Ravera.

I am curious as to how much Barolo/Barbaresco people drink. I used to drink 2-4 bottles a week. Now I might drink one bottle a month. The world is full of a great variety of wines and my tastes have shifted to lighter reds (Pinot Noir, Alto Piedmont), whites, and sparkling, especially focusing on lower alcohol levels (under 14% or better yet, under 13%). If I bought five cases of a vintage (2016 , for example), that is literally enough for five years. So I have no need whatsoever to buy 2017s.

Also what’s your buying/cellar strategy? 2017 wines are beautiful out of the gate, but I don’t think many people consider it a vintage for long term cellaring. It’s a big contrast from 2016.

1 a month or so for me. While I love the wines, I hate the alcohol, which simply seems to be getting stronger every year (despite the same “14%” on the label). Tend to like the nebbiolo from the nether-regions north and east more and more.

I’m with you. I like the wines, but never seem to drink them. So I’m trying to buy less Piedmont than I used to.

I ordered some 2016 Cigliuti Serraboella Barbaresco after reading Ian D’Agata’s (and AG’s) very high praise and was a bit horrified to see 15% listed on the label. That used to be Amarone octane. I am wondering if I will ever drink it.