Seeking Terroir; Comparing village Chambolle and Vosne

SEEKING TERROIR; COMPARING VILLAGE CHAMBOLLE AND VOSNE - (11/14/2021)

We wanted to see if we could recognize the difference between the Villages and we definitely could. Everyone was fascinated by how differently Chambolles and Vosnes showed and how much like each other were those from the same village, despite difference in winemaker style. Looking forward to doing more of these; we all learned a lot.

• 2010 Domaine Felettig Chambolle-Musigny - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny
    A step up from the '11 in power and intensity, but still too youthful when first tasted–lacked the beguiling aromatics of the '11. After an hour or so in the glass, it had more complexity and aroma. This wine is a steal, one of two WOTN’s. (92 pts.)
  • 2011 Domaine Felettig Vosne-Romanée - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée
    Identifiably Vosne, tell-tale spice in the midpalate and reasonably good mouthfeel. Somewhat simple overall–vintage could not have helped. (88 pts.)
  • 2011 Domaine Felettig Chambolle-Musigny - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny
    This is a nice spot now, starting to show tertiary character. The finish is surprisingly long for an '11 and it shows very Chambolle: molasses/brown sugar and huckleberries in the midpalate. (90 pts.)
  • 2009 Domaine Ghislaine Barthod / Barthod-Noëllat Chambolle-Musigny - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny
    Bigger expression of Chambolle than the Felletig '11, with nice C-M characteristics. May need more time, as it drank a bit on the simple side, even in this company. (90 pts.)
  • 2009 Thibault Liger-Belair Vosne-Romanée Aux Réas - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée
    This is drinking very nicely now and the lieux-dit seems to have made a difference. More complex than the '11 Felettig Vosne and the '09 Barthod. Finish is long and takes you to a number of places. Well balanced wine as well and no discernible oak. (92 pts.)
  • 1995 Daniel Moine-Hudelot Chambolle-Musigny - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny
    This is pretty and pretty simple wine–somewhat foursquare, but clear Chambolle character. Like many '95’s this good go longer. My last bottle. (89 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
2 Likes

Just found this zombie in a quick search. Were these done single or double blind? I am getting curious as to whether we all just taste the things that we know we should.

I am less experienced than most of the burgophiles here but have found some exciting things blind that I wouldn’t have been looking for.

Hi Dan,

Sort of a halfway house: everyone else knew thet were Chambolle and Vosne, but not the actual makers and such. I knew the latter and I was far more familiar with the wines than anyone else. Still, the consensus was rather astonishing–all of us could differentiate the villages blind. It was fun, too–you might try it with some folks. (I myself am planning to do another comparing of Gevrey and Morey next month.)

Yeah that’s cool to know it turned out so clearly. Would be great to do something similar. As of now I pull a case and have my wife pick 2-4 and test my own preconceived ideas of what they taste like. Typically 2 of 3 matches up and the third is a moderate surprise (sometimes positive, more often negative!).

This is interesting, but reading the notes, I can’t differentiate Chambolle from Vosne. What were the characteristics of each that made identification easy and unanimous? Was it the spicy note you recorded in the Fellitig Vosne? Or was it “molasses/brown sugar and huckleberries in the midpalate” on the 11 Fellitig Chambolle? Something else?

I’ve done no blind tastings since Covid started, but I used to do many, and almost never had unanimity. I’m really interested. Thanks!

Brady,

Yes, it was the molasses/brown sugar note, which is not very aptly phrased, but as well as I could do, that set the Chambolles apart, which they all had despite the very different styles of the producers. With the Vosne, it was indeed the classic Vosne spice, but also seemed somehow bluer fruited. Be great to hear from others who might do similar tastings.