Absolute best Petite Sirah: Jaffurs, Aaron and Switchback Ridge

Petite Syrah is almost unknown in much of the East. Yet I will make the sincere argument that CA has among the best on earth. Several years ago I discovered Jaffurs on a Santa Barbara trip and have now added Aaron (Paso) and Napa’s Switchback Ridge to the pursuit of what could be among the world’s best.

2018 Switchback Ridge is Dal Forno like @ 16.5%. I liked Jaffurs so much that I bought four and one half cases over the past two years (incredible on the second night). My first bottle of ‘18 Aaron, four hours after opening, was humbling-I couldn’t find the words to describe my appreciation.

Tomorrow night I and a very close friend are going to explore what may be among the best tastes on earth. We’ll light several candles, coerce our wives to join us (and pretend it is a second date!!) and go after these extraordinary pours.

All will be opened, swirled, sloshed and decanted, presented properly at temperature in fishbowls. And appreciated.

Whatever is left over for Thursday will be saluted and swallowed.

Pics or it didn’t happen!

Not to add gas to the fire, but Turley makes some mighty fine Petite Syrahs. And yes, I too am a big fan of Petit Syrah, especially Switchback.

Enjoy your “second date”.

I’ll throw in Mending Wall as well. First tasting at the winery I ended up buying only PS instead of cabs like I had planned.

Aaron for sure is great. Discovered him many years ago.
Just got back from a trip to Paso, it must be the PS capital of California.
Aaron was sold out but liked the Mauka which is a PS and cab blend.
The best PS of the trip was Sarzotti and the price is great.
I also found locally a blowout deal on Refugio Ranch PS.
If you like PS suggest you also try PV (petite verdot), lots of that it in Paso although it seemed to be rare before.
I never was much of a PS drinker but lately it seems to be attractive.

Yep, Mending Wall is excellent! Also Ridge with a lot of age.

I also really dig Carlisle (Palisades in particular), and Once & Future Palisades.

1 Like

I wonder if the current iteration of Ridge’s PSs will age as well as their older ones did . . .

The thing about Jaffurs’ Petites is they are good at release and good 10, 15, 20 years from now. So many Cali PSs need time, some lots of time. Few are good upon release.

Also…
Petit is to Verdot
Petite is to Sirah

1 Like

Love Turley and am on their mailing list. Whichever is our preference over the next two nights will be matched against a ‘16 Turley Hayne vineyard Petite Syrah (oldest I have….left).

1 Like

Funny the mention of PS capital of CA. On a road trip last summer, driving out of Napa, Suisun Valley has signs claiming “Petite Sirah Capital of the World”. Wish I had known and also time to explore the area.

I’ve had Mending Wall also. The irony of this is that at age 74 I started drinking down my cellar five or so years ago. It was shortly before that I discovered Petite Syrah. I wish I had started in the 90’s and ‘00’s and was opening 15-20+ year old bottles. But with the Jaffurs and Aaron I feel that while young I’ve learned how to have a good taste. (Noted in other threads.)

Switchback @16.5% may be another matter however. But we’ll enjoy the effort.

It may really be the second night that has the biggest impression on us. Still, the first will have a lot of air, 4-12 hours depending on the wine, temperature and eager fishbowls awaiting a slosh.

hard to take this thread seriously with spelling considered.

16.5%?!?

We did a tasting of PS from Turley, Ridge, Jaffurs and Carlisle and the Carlisle Palisades come out on top. While it was tops in that one vintage, that Carlisle is consistently one of the best. The Turley Hayne can be stunning but costs quite a bit more. Cheers.

1 Like

Feeling you. I have opened and had a lot of Petite Sirah over the years but I just can’t take the alcohol anymore. One glass is about all I can do. I loved the wines, especially the Switchback Ridge wines, including their dry-farmed old vine block that they bottle on its own. That stuff is grown right off Silverado Trail, you can see those 50+ year old vines from the asphalt if you stop near their gate and look into the property.

1 Like

What about Robert Foley? I had Petite Sirah Pepperland 2006, Spring Mountain and it was outstanding

Thanks. Will try. The Turley was about $80-85 from them.

Oops. Petite Sirah.

Made the same mistake in another thread. At least at almost 75 I am still consistent.

2 Likes

Turley spells it syrah. I take them seriously. Cheers!