Corkage fee waiver?

Just curious to know what consensus opinion is, gave the beverage director/som a pour of a $200 bottle of wine and ordered wine off the list, yet got charged a $45 corkage fee. Is that right? I’m just curious how others would feel.

I’d feel the som doesn’t deserve a pour the next time.

1 Like

Not a problem to me. A pour doesn’t negate the fee, nor does buying one. Nice to have a comp there, but I wouldn’t get upset over it.

3 Likes

don’t ever expect but appreciate it when they do waive it

7 Likes

I think this is exactly correct while also believing this was poor form by the Somm.

To my view both of these views can be true at the same time.

2 Likes

We have one restaurant in town that explicitly states they will waive the fee if you buy a bottle off the list. which I love and reward with my business. Everywhere else, it’s nice if a pour or a purchase negates it (I’d go further and say it’s appropriate if you buy one off the list), but you can’t expect it. They have no obligation unless they say that’s what they’ll do. Of course, you also have no obligation to dine there.

I would give a pour because I felt like sharing, not because I wanted the corkage waived. I wouldn’t expect it to be waived.

6 Likes

Exactly. It’s just the same as if I looked at the menu, sat down and ordered, and then thought that maybe the food was a bit overpriced.

It’s not going to ruin my day, but it will definitely factor in the next time I’m choosing where to dine.

Did you order a glass or a whole bottle?

To make sure there’s no bias, in your response please indicate if you’re a somm.- tongue in check

1 Like

Bottle…does it matter?

clearly. You were expecting a waived $45 corkage for a sip of a $200 bottle. How does that add up?

As before, never expect it but appreciate it when they do

what’s the poor form by the Somm?

1 Like

One might suggest to bring nicer wine next time.

4 Likes

[truce.gif] [pwn.gif]

There is no doubt that the restaurant can set its corkage fee. Just pay it or don’t bring your own wine, or maybe make a deal with the wine guy/somm/owner/etc… These are simply relationship/business/customer arrangements that happen over time or instantaneously. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn’t.

Seems absolutely correct to me.

Restaurants have enough trouble staying in business and paying their bills. Don’t expect them to waive their corkage fee. Whether a wine geek or a wine snob, quit whining.

Same here. Somms, servers and restaurants have bills to pay; getting a pour of good wine may be of interest to them, but it doesn’t really change the money they need.

A sip is not a tip.

2 Likes