Are wide bottom decanters worth the hassle?

I’m not sure if I’m missing something by not using a wide base decanter. Storage is a bit tight in our kitchen and I don’t have a wine cellar like everyone here on the forum :stuck_out_tongue: If I feel like I want to aerate I wine I admit I’ll just use a fairly narrow decanter that is more like a carafe. I know a wider base would have more oxygen in contact of the wine, but couldn’t I just use an aerator for a similar effect? or do the double decant method where you pour it back into the bottle.

Do you end up using those crazy shaped decanters? Or is everyone using fairly modest ones like glasvin’s https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0057/7195/2162/products/0001_bb72e910-49fa-4fd6-8a29-ef5c3a9bdd5e_500x.jpg?v=1611421133

I have 20 Riedel cabernet decanters which I use all the time. And 1 wide bottom decanter which gathers dust. You’re missing nothing.

8 Likes

I agree with Sarah. Plus, they’re a pain to clean up and getting the last of the wine out of them requires that you basically turn them upside down. I don’t like them.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t think anyone needs them. Plus, you really don’t want the last part of the bottle which has sat there the longest to be at maximum air exposure. It would make more sense for it to narrow at the bottom and/or have a large punt reduce the surface area of the last few ounces.

1 Like

Ditto. Mine are very dusty.

Most of the oxygen transfer is from the wine being exposed to air as it’s poured into the decanter anyway. I doubt increased surface exposure with a wider bottom contributes much.

Only if you expect to be sailing through stormy seas.

“Ship’s decanters traditionally had large flat bottoms narrowing to slender spouts to counteract any rolling and pitching.”

4 Likes

Agree with the other posters. I have three and only use them because I already have them and need to justify the space they consume somehow. Were I to do it again I would go strictly with carafe style (have a couple of those as well), which are easier to store, pour from, and clean.

The Riedel Cabernet decanter is my favorite decanter. I was really disappointed when it didn’t survive our last move. Inexpensive and the perfect size. I need to get a couple more of those.

I’ve been using the Grassl carafe and decanter lately and I like them also.

I have the Riedel Ultra also, and another wide bottom decanter-they are very dusty. Not sure how much wine we spilled with those.

If you ever make the mistake of putting a detergent in a wide-bodied decanter [with a very narrow neck], you’ll never be able to get the soap stains out of the decanter.

And soap stains on glassware will immediately “TCA-ify” any wine which they contact.

The mouth and throat of a decanter must be at least as wide as your fist & forearm in order to be cleaned properly.

[Note that Windex, with “Ammonia D”, works wonders at removing soap stains and neutralizing Chlorine compounds.]

If you like upright glassware, then look for cylindrical laboratory equipment.

Otherwise, just pour the wine in a flat corningware baking dish.

That’ll give it plenty of surface area for oxygenation.

And invest in funnels if you want to pour a wine back into its bottle.

no

I use a large Pyrex measuring cup.

Wide bottom, easy to pour and clean, hard to spill or break, other usefulness, and easy to nest with other stored kitchen vessels.

And cheap. cheesehead

1 Like

I bought into the whole “wide-base” decanter early one, but like others have said, don’t use it at all now, mainly because they are so hard to clean.

Surprisingly (or not), I’m using water pitchers more often to decant and serve (not as elegant, but much easier for both pouring and cleaning).

1 Like

No…they are not worth it. Harder to clean…just buy a glass container. Any clean glass container

Nope. Hated mine and then replaced it with 2 Grassl decanters which are used nightly. Will pick up some more on the next sale day.

Does anyone know if acrylic jugs would stain if used for decanting?

Risk is odor absorption from prior contents, and transference to the wine.

oh thanks. I’ll stay away from them then.

I have two wide bottom decanters, a magnum and a 750 size. I use the magnum more often, even for 750’s. I think it opens up the wine quite a bit. In summer months they rest better on a bag of ice or frozen peas too. I don’t find them hard to clean and it looks cool on our bar shelf. YRMV.

I use a volumetric flask when I decant. Indestructible, and SCIENCE!

1 Like