Berserkerfest NY21 at PDH

25-ish assembled at PDH to come out of hibernation and drink lots of great wine. Even the AFWE table had some good stuff. The fact that it is not fully visible because it is in the back row is entirely accidental - We took their wine for the dead soldiers photo last and there was not enough room, but Jay Miller and Friends can fill in details. Our table, the SQN and Cali Cabs table, included 4 SQNs, a Finger’s Crossed by Manfred’s son, a 2013 Colgin, a 1998 Araujo, a 1983(?) Silver Oak Mag, a 1983 Volcanic Hill and others. The other tables also showed up big, with Ultramarine bubbly (not my favorite but a better showing for me than past bottles), 1997 Dehlinger (excellent), 1984 Laurel Glen (very good), a Merkelbach Urgluck Ausleze (excellent), a 2011 Bedrock Sémillon Lachryma Montis, Botrytized Old Vine Monte Rosso Vineyard (!), a Drouhin Beaune Clos des Mouches (excellent). 2004 Comtes (I did not taste it because I have it myself - my wife, on the other had, raved about it on the train home). Others can fill in more.

It was great to see people we had not seen in over 2 years.

And thanks to Dale Williams for letting me bring the remainder of the Trimbach CFE Magnum home for my son to try. It was his fee for driving us back from the train station. It’s gone!

PS - I hate cell phone photos, but I didn’t bother to lug the real camera.
Wines at 2021 Berserkerfest.jpg
Berserkerfest table.jpg

5 Likes

This looks like a lovely gathering! Lots of folks out & able to share wine with others that share the same passion sounds like a great weekend to me. I find it also interesting the idea of setting up tables based on wine preference (New World, Old World, AWFE, & so on).

The tables started out that way, but quickly devolved into sharing and socializing. Fun night had by all.

I got loose from the wok and fryer stations in the back, for three hours.
Back slinging and delivering again this morning.

[bleh.gif]

How many Berserkers did you convince to sell their houses and rent?

The Second Circuit Appeals Court has been hearing my most convincing arguments.

But, then, who would ever listen to a poor, dumb person?

No one actually “set up” tables. Jay Miller declared an AFWE table. I wanted real wine with real flavor and declared a SQN table which then added Cali Cults. Dan Hammer, for reasons that he explained but were never clear to me, declared a Pinot tables, and people committed to bring wine that fit the table theme. We generally do it that way.

At my first PDH Berserkerfest I brought a Sea Smoke Pinot Noir, and so a tradition was born… except for the time I organized a California Cabernet table, but that was to keep some of the riff-raff away. Ducking. neener

Fun night! Thanks to Mike for organizing, Jay M for setting up our table, and everyone (at our table and others)for great company and wine. Jay glad your son liked CFE.
This is what I can recreate of what was served at AFWE table (roughly in order I tried). Lots of good stuff, Thanks to those at other tables who shared as well, especially nice to taste Victor’s 1996 LG after our trio.

2011 Larmandier-Bernier Vigne du Levant Extra Brut Champagne
2004 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne
2014 Fevre Les Preuses Chablis GC Magnum
2012 Ultramarine Blanc des Blancs
2009 J. Schram
2019 Goodfellow “Durant” Chardonnay
1995 Trimbach Cuvee Frederic Emile Riesling magnum
2018 Merkelbach Urziger Wurzgarten Urlguck Auslese
1984 Laurel Glen Cabernet Sauvignon
1985 Laurel Glen Cabernet Sauvignon
1994 Laurel Glen Cabernet Sauvignon
1992 Ravenswood Zinfandel
2003 Baudry “Grezeaux” Chinon magnum
2008 Doyard Blanc des Blancs Extra Brut
1993 Robert Arnoux Les Chaumes Vosne-Romanee 1er Cru
1993 Drouhin Clos des Mouches Beaune 1er
2004 Jouan Clos St., Denis
2006 Patricia Green Etzel Block Pinot Noir magnum
1989 Soucherie “Chaumes” Coteaux-du-Layon

So enjoyable and glad everyone had fun.

At the Jay Hack table

Grosset NV Champagne
2018 Fingers Crossed
1983 Silver Oak, Alexander Valley
1983 Diamond Creek - Volcanic Hill
1998 Arauo, Eisele Vineyard
2009 SQN ‘Thurn the Whole thing’
2011 SQN Dark Blossom - Syrah
2009 SQN Estonoesua - Grenache
1996 Laurel Glen

How was the 98 Araujo?

Great fruit (not sweetness) for a tough vintage.

Cool event. Does only 25 people constitute a Berserkerfest? [stirthepothal.gif]

Seventy-five others attended remotely.

Appreciate it. Bought a mag recently that I’m looking forward to opening. Hopefully it’ll show well