Berserker Boys' Ultimate Mountain Jamboree (Leroy, Chave, Rayas, Vatan, Krug, Selosse, etc)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

Berserker Boys' Ultimate Mountain Jamboree (Leroy, Chave, Rayas, Vatan, Krug, Selosse, etc)

#1 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

Berserkers from around the country (me, Jorge Henriquez, K John Joseph, Robert Alfert, and Charlie Carnes) met up (not without travel headaches) at Carnes' gorgeous mountain 'cabin' in North Carolina to open some legendary wines - not just legendary, but several wines that have been saved for many years for just such an occasion. For me, that wine was my lone bottle of '90 Chave, and for Charlie, it was his ’95 Leroy Clos de Vougeot.

The whole list is below, and we plan to post our notes as we open and enjoy these wines. I expect little sleep, and tons of fun, and extraordinary wine and company (except Jorge, of course).

’05 Vatan
’16 Raul Perez La Claudina Godello (mag)

’90 Chave
’95 Masurd Cuvee Mazurka
’99 Verset
‘08 Rayas
‘11 Juge Cornas

’64 La Croix de Gay
‘70 Magdelaine
‘86 Magdelaine
‘95 Mouton
‘95 Cos
’02 VCC

’82 La Lagune
’82 Meyney
‘82 La Mish
’82 Mouton
‘82 Las Cases
’82 Scavino
’82 Conterno

’95 Leroy Clos de Vougeot
‘06 Doudet-Naudin Volnay Les Lurets

’82 Taittinger Collection
’02 Krug
‘02 Cristal
‘02 Dom P
‘02 Billecart Salmon Clos St Hillaire
‘02 Billecart Salmon Cuvée Nicolas François
’07 Dom Ruinart BdB
NV Selosse Rosé

Fernando de Castilla Oloroso
‘60 Collares
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Charlie Carnes
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

Re: Berserker Boys' Ultimate Mountain Jamboree

#2 Post by Charlie Carnes »

Oh my! What a fun crew! We also have perfect weather and tons of leaf color, and so much great food on tap. Here we go for my first note:
  • 2002 Louis Roederer Champagne Cristal Brut - France, Champagne (10/15/2021)
    This was completely amazing! I was a little worried when the cork slipped out rather easily, and with barely a whisper. Then Kaboom!, the first taste. This seems in the perfect place as it has qualities of age, AND a gorgeous youthful exuberance! The color was gorgeous when the first glass was poured, it was kind of like a glistening mineral stew. Then there was the beautiful nose, where I smelled pretty traces of chalky limestone, and cistern perceptions, and hints of pretty red fruits like strawberry, and dried fruits, and most compelling dried apple cider aroma (Kane's note) which carried this wine completely to amazing and beyond. In the mouth, it just got better, as it presented creamy, with plenty of mousse, and gobs of tart orchard fruit, and berry fruit skins, and so much mineral, again with the apple cider and a core of vinous perfection, that left me wanting! This is truly a mind blowing show stopper. Also, it makes me marvel at Champagne, can mature rather quickly in the collector's lifetime and reward so much after 20 years!!! Kane's Bottle. 98-99 (98 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
Mr. President, it is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth and listen to the song of that siren till she transforms us into beasts... Patrick Henry

Rodrigo B
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#3 Post by Rodrigo B »

Damn, that's a lot of nice wine. If you're going to go through travel headaches, at the very least the wines at the end more than make up for it. Enjoy the wines and Flannery! [cheers.gif]
B r @ g @

CT: rcb25
IG: r.c.b.25

dcornutt
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#4 Post by dcornutt »

Nice job guys! Sounds like fun. Lots of very good to extraordinary wine.
DON Cornutt

" Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner." - LAO TZU

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by James Lyon »

I can be there in 2-3 hours...

Enjoy the weekend.

LasseK

#6 Post by LasseK »

Insane line-up!!!
K n u d s e n. Copenhagen based.
IG: @nysgerrig_paa_Vin

JDavisRoby
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#7 Post by JDavisRoby »

Good to see you boys got out on the golf course!
1C629702-C1A1-403D-BE37-E4C4FD77CF5F.jpeg
Can KJJ really hit it 350?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joshu@

Anton D
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#8 Post by Anton D »

Wow!

I am full of wholesome envy!

Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Jay Miller
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#9 Post by Jay Miller »

So that's why you didn't come out for the NYC Berserkerfest tomorrow.

Can't say as how I blame you ... champagne.gif
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Kevin Porter
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#10 Post by Kevin Porter »

LasseK wrote: October 15th, 2021, 12:05 pm Insane line-up!!!
Good wines too
Selectively outraged

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

We are hurting today. Plus, Meats just took us on a brutal two hour mountain hike. After Carolina BBQ.
“Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my sh*t.“
(Country Squire, circa 2020)

@lfert

LasseK

#12 Post by LasseK »

Kevin Porter wrote: October 15th, 2021, 12:45 pm
LasseK wrote: October 15th, 2021, 12:05 pm Insane line-up!!!
Good wines too
😅
K n u d s e n. Copenhagen based.
IG: @nysgerrig_paa_Vin

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

Charlie Carnes wrote: October 15th, 2021, 9:20 am Oh my! What a fun crew! We also have perfect weather and tons of leaf color, and so much great food on tap. Here we go for my first note:
  • 2002 Louis Roederer Champagne Cristal Brut - France, Champagne (10/15/2021)
    This was completely amazing! I was a little worried when the cork slipped out rather easily, and with barely a whisper. Then Kaboom!, the first taste. This seems in the perfect place as it has qualities of age, AND a gorgeous youthful exuberance! The color was gorgeous when the first glass was poured, it was kind of like a glistening mineral stew. Then there was the beautiful nose, where I smelled pretty traces of chalky limestone, and cistern perceptions, and hints of pretty red fruits like strawberry, and dried fruits, and most compelling dried apple cider aroma (Kane's note) which carried this wine completely to amazing and beyond. In the mouth, it just got better, as it presented creamy, with plenty of mousse, and gobs of tart orchard fruit, and berry fruit skins, and so much mineral, again with the apple cider and a core of vinous perfection, that left me wanting! This is truly a mind blowing show stopper. Also, it makes me marvel at Champagne, can mature rather quickly in the collector's lifetime and reward so much after 20 years!!! Kane's Bottle. 98-99 (98 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
Great note. Was definitely my WOTN. Kept going back to it all night.

I really liked the 2002 Vieux Chateau Certan, so classic and balanced. Drank like a left bank, though. No marked sense of Pomerol. I wonder if this vintage has a heavier Cab Franc presence, as it certainly showed more Cab profile though not herbaceous at all. This wine is into its prime drinking window and has years to go. (92 pts.)

Was fun to pop the 2011 Marcel Juge Cornas for the boys, especially since I just had the 2014 two weeks ago. Both such aromatic vintages, though between the two, 2014 shows better to me. Love the briny, savory, earthy profile on this wine. Very high acid, perhaps a bit too much on the tart side. The red spectrum is wide, and lively on the palate. We decanted this wine for an hour and it showed best like three hours later, end of evening. (93 pts.)

Some whisky was flowing, too. That’s what took us over the edge, me thinks.
Last edited by Robert.A.Jr. on October 15th, 2021, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

@lfert

K John Joseph
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#14 Post by K John Joseph »

JDavisRoby wrote: October 15th, 2021, 12:28 pm Good to see you boys got out on the golf course!

Goddam right I can.
J0hn-J-K4ne

K John Joseph
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#15 Post by K John Joseph »

2002 Cristal - I was concerned about the soft whisper on open, but it poured with a nice mousse and the color was great. Beautiful white peach, mineral, hint of fresh pressed cider (not oxidative/Sherry) hint of spice and nice biscuit. Just gorgeous.

2002 Billecart Salmon Clos St Hilaire - lovely expression of BDN. Good richness with white cherry, ginger, hint of spice and marzipan. Really vibrant with great acidity and a lively mousse. Vivacious and can continue to age.

2007 Dom Ruinart - I really like this wine. Cool Asian pear and white flowers, hint of flint and mint, lemon. It’s a nice wine. Maybe not quite up there with the first two, but it’s delicious.

2008 Jerome Blin Les Caillasses - okay I was pretty ripped for this one but it was really good and 08 is quickly becoming my favorite vintage. This is 50-50 chard and pinot meunier and it’s all shining. Great citrus and spice and meunier funk and orchard fruit. At least that’s what I recall.

I’d had quite a lot to drink. Hell I currently feel a bit iffy but am improving! Thanks 2 hour hike at 4800 feet with Drill Sarge Carnes!
J0hn-J-K4ne

K John Joseph
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#16 Post by K John Joseph »

Robert.A.Jr. wrote: October 15th, 2021, 1:22 pm
I really liked the 2002 Vieux Chateau Certan so classic and balanced. Drank like a left bank, though. No marked sense of Pomerol. I wonder if this vintage has a heavier Cab Franc presence, as it certainly showed more Cab profile though not herbaceous at all. This wine is into its prime drinking window and had years to go. (92 pts.)

Was fun to pop the 2011 Marcel Juge Cornas for the boys, especially since I just had the 2014 two weeks ago. Both such aromatic vintages, though between the two, 2014 shows better to me. Love the briny, savory, earthy profile on this wine. Very high acid, perhaps a bit too much on the tart side. The red spectrum is wide, and lively on the palate. We decanted this wine for an hour and it showed best like three hours later, end of evening. (93 pts.)
The VCC was bright and floral on the palate with gorgeous red fruit, nice cedar and a hint of licorice backing the fruit Very classy wine. Soft and ready. Alfert’s spot on.

The Juge was delicious. Bright fruit profile with really expressive and savory nose. Almost a hint of salinity with the meat and game notes. Only slight detraction was a slight green pepper herbaceous note that reminded me of 11 Levet and not in a great way. But the wine was very complex and expressive and really pretty enjoyable.
J0hn-J-K4ne

T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by T. Altmayer »

K John Joseph wrote: October 15th, 2021, 1:28 pm
JDavisRoby wrote: October 15th, 2021, 12:28 pm Good to see you boys got out on the golf course!

Goddam right I can.
Maybe not after a night like that however.
Tom

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Kirk.Grant »

That's a lovely line-up of wines. Very cool to see Berserker's getting together again. I can't wait to reassemble the crew that came to Boston in another year or two once this whole pandemic thing is under wraps. Until then small gatherings are still a blessing.
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

A163F77D-8DA0-4C7A-9CB7-50278C5C0A3F.jpeg

Enjoying some Fu caviar on a gorgeous day
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

@lfert

B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by B. Buzzini »

More pics! Show us the place! Looks amazing for a Brokeback Mountain...I mean...Berserker Mountain Jamboree! [drinkers.gif]
Brian
CT - Mrbuzz
IG - mrbuzz11

NickRut
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by NickRut »

82 mouton…. 🤤🤤🤤
Rutkowski

JDavisRoby
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#22 Post by JDavisRoby »

Robert.A.Jr. wrote: October 15th, 2021, 2:53 pm A163F77D-8DA0-4C7A-9CB7-50278C5C0A3F.jpeg

Just rub it in that Fu isn’t there.
Joshu@

JDavisRoby
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#23 Post by JDavisRoby »

T. Altmayer wrote: October 15th, 2021, 1:52 pm
K John Joseph wrote: October 15th, 2021, 1:28 pm

Goddam right I can.
Maybe not after a night like that however.
I tend to hit it better the morning after a night like that!
Joshu@

Scott Brunson
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#24 Post by Scott Brunson »

Outstanding
You lushes need to sober up and do next year’s Charleston Offlineorama.
This year’s event is t minus 20 days and counting.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

P@u1_M3nk3s
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#25 Post by P@u1_M3nk3s »

Wot, no Riesling? Definitely a sorry bunch... champagne.gif
Cheers,
Paul

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#26 Post by Todd F r e n c h »

Last night was the '82 Flight (mostly Bordeaux, one Conterno), and while I didn't have space to take notes but I will go from memory, and hope my memory serves me.

Each flight was served single-blind - we knew the wines in the flight, but still went through the exercise of guessing which was which. The main flight (2nd one), everybody guessed the same, though there was quite a bit of discussion, some changed guesses, but all settling on the same correct call.

1982 Chateau Meyney - A bit faded, heavy on the graphite, leather, but the red fruits were a bit dusty and shy. Color definitely showed decline as well, bricked compared to the La Lagune. Not bad, per se, but clearly outclassed by the other wine in the flight, and while it wasn't at peak, it was still enjoyable (to me).

1982 Chateau La Lagune - this wine really popped on the nose and on the palate, very lively and bright and exciting, great energy. Could have gone another 2-3 decades, based on color and liveliness. Tart and sweet red and blue fruit, many of the secondary characteristics were still in the background, with the structure and fruit taking front stage at this time. Very nice

2nd flight: (great flight, I was unable to decide on a ranking of these wines for most of the evening, until the La Mish started to fall off)

1982 La Mission Haut Brion - Very expressive and rewarding nose, floral, bit of spice, smelled luxurious, which made me think immediately that it had to be either Mouton or La Mish, but the perfumed aspect pulled me toward La Mish. Fully integrated at first couple tastings, cassis and saddle leather, darker fruited, finish wasn't terribly long, but after a short time the entire wine started to fall off a bit.

1982 Leoville Las Cases - the 'fun' wine of the group - more racy, interesting, not as polished as the others but very exciting. Bit of olive oil, milk chocolate, red fruits on the nose. Nice sort of bright brambly red fruit on the palate, lively and grippy, finish long.

1982 Mouton Rothschild - gorgeous, elegant nose, expressive but refined. The palate has the same sort of polish to it, so I immediately assumed Mouton. Nose had baking spices, licorice, cherry, bit of pine. Palate has a full satiny weight, predominantly red cherry palate, finish strong and holds well. For sure the polished wine of the flight

3rd 'Flight'

We were going to open two '82 Baroli (this and a Scavino) but decided on just one, with our food, as it was all perfect Barolo food.

1982 Conterno Cascia Francia - At first, the rest of the table really loved this wine, but I wasn't interested. Nose was nice, roses and honey, tar, but the palate, at first, was far to brightly acidic, almost vinegar-like to me. Over the course of an hour, it changed drastically, and became much more interesting overall, and the mouthfeel went from overly-acidic to balanced and bright and perfect with food.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Carlos Delpin

#27 Post by Carlos Delpin »

Wait, What? The things you miss when you take a Berserker break...

Have fun and next time you can substitute the Dominican for the Puerto Rican!
ITB - Terruar Wine Imports, San Juan PR

K John Joseph
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#28 Post by K John Joseph »

Thanks to pepto and a 3 mile hike with 1000 feet of elevation change at 4900 feet, and an ease into wines at Paoletti's, I managed to rally and be in great shape at dinner. Carnes is clearly a rock star in Highlands. Our service was exceptional and my elk chop was one of the most enjoyable entrees I've had in the past few years. Amazing. The wine service by Kyle, the Paoletti's somm, was also exceptional.

But before we headed to the restaurant we hit up sum Fuviar from Astrea, Kaluga, Oscetria, and Schrenki. Fantastic stuff with a couple of champagnes to lube up.

Laherte Freres A Chavot Ultradition Rose An interesting and fun starter made of 100% meunier. Musky peach, pomegranate and lemon with some spicy notes. Very nice, if a bit less complex than some of the other wines we've been drinking. Lovely wine for enjoying the truly spectacular view on Carnes's porch. 90-91

2002 Dom Perignon P2 Holy shit the density and intensity on this champagne is unreal. The color is intensely yellow. The nose is a hair shy at first but opens up to intense lemon oil, chalky minerality, ginger, and kiwi with a tiny hint of lemongrass. This is so packed with intensity. I think this is really phenomenal stuff. So dense, so fresh, so intense, citric and just killer. A ball of vinous energy. Phenomenal. Where the Cristal is open and lush and fruity and giving, this is a dense ball of verve and bright energy. Stunning. Can age another 20 years. 97-98.

Shortly after these champagnes is when I hit the pepto, which had high toned notes of chalk, chalky artificial bubble gum, and chalky strawberry scented grundle.

As we pulled up to Paoletti's I admit I was a bit shaky. I think Carnes and I were in the same spot. Feeling full, maybe a little heartburn, definitely hung over. Small sipping at first. Then the pepto kicked in and we rallied and felt phenomenal.

3 Flights at Paoletti's. All 82s.

The first flight was single blind 82 Meyney v 82 La Lagune. I flipped the wines. I assumed the more lively, better structured, and fresher wine was the 82 Meyney, in part because it is not a medoc, and also because the fill on the bottle was sensational.

1982 La Lagune This is fresh and vibrant with cherry and raspberry, sharpened pencil, hint of earth, and really nice baking spice and cinnamon. Nice acidity and good structure. I actually really enjoyed this wine and found it fresh and vibrant. 92ish

1982 Meyney This smells and tastes a little over the hill to me. This is forest floor and desiccated fruit turning to that over the hill note. The structure is, to me, a little faded and lacking verve. This is like 83-84 for me.

The second flight was the big dog flight. 1982 La Mission Haut Brion, 1982 Leoville Las Cases, 1982 Mouton.

1982 Mouton Really fine and balanced with nice red and black fruit, chinese five spice, nice hints of cedar and licorice. This is beautiful and after tasting this first, I'm not sure it's going to be beat. Over time, this hangs in there or gets better. Just rock solid, excellent balance. The color on this was excellent, and its aromatics are just lovely. Good stuff. 96-97

1982 Leoville Las Cases This is a fascinating wine. It's very well structured, very dark in color, black fruit, hint of tobacco, spice, licorice. What was odd was that even with the deep black fruit, and really lovely blackberry notes, there is a pyrazine green pepper note. I really like it, and the acid and tannins on this are spot on. This can continue to age. It's in a great spot. Really rock solid here too. 96-97

1982 La Mission Haut Brion Wow, what a bright nose of raspberry, blackberry, crushed rocks, bright red licorice, hint of wood, violets. I might have guessed Margaux if this was double blind. The acid here is nice, and the structure is killer. Unfortunately, this actually started to fade over the next hour, and the fruit went from bright to faded and slightly muddy. This went from first to third for me. It was so bright and so good, and then it wasn't at the end of the dinner. 93-94

By the end of dinner, I could not decide whether I like the Mouton or LLC more. Obviously, I wish the La Mish had not started fading because it was so bright and killer at first.

Third "flight" was just a non-blind 82 Barolo with entrees.

1982 Giacomo Conterno Cascina Francia Riserva Barolo I was a little worried on the nose at first because it was iron and tar, but not showing much fruit and a little musky. Then I took a sip. Bright tart cherry, rose, tarry, spicy earthy finish with bright acidity and stout tannins keeping everything upright. This is money. And the nose opened up to show some of that bright cherry as this evolved. Really nice. 93-94.

While not the star of the show, we started with a really nice white burgundy to set the stage.

2017 Vincent and Sophie Morey Chassagne Montrachet Started with this at the restaurant. A really nice, vibrant chard with great minerality, good complexity. Great lemon oil, bright apple, asian pear, limestone notes. Solid wine. 91ish

For full disclosure, and I did disclose it, when the blind big boy flight was poured, I saw that the second wine was the LLC because it had a tiny piece of tape on the bottom of the decanter and the somm's hand didn't cover it when he poured. I looked away on the last and never saw the first, so I had to guess La Mish and Mouton and did. Everyone nailed all 3, actually, which was amazing.

Kyle, the somm at Paoletti's, was awesome and Julio, our waiter, was one of the best servers I've had at any restaurant.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

Gotta at least post Kane’s breakfast pic. Black truffle eggs with Fuviar, 2008 Comtes and 2002 Krug. Both amazing champagnes.

7754D71F-CC0E-4E96-BD38-A3E2EFDBFAA2.jpeg

@lfert

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#30 Post by Jorge Henriquez »

Carlos Delpin wrote: October 16th, 2021, 8:55 am Wait, What? The things you miss when you take a Berserker break...

Have fun and next time you can substitute the Dominican for the Puerto Rican!
Tu madre! Jejeje
ITB - Empire Merchants
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#31 Post by c fu »

JDavisRoby wrote: October 15th, 2021, 4:19 pm
Robert.A.Jr. wrote: October 15th, 2021, 2:53 pm A163F77D-8DA0-4C7A-9CB7-50278C5C0A3F.jpeg

Baby mama wouldn’t let me go. Otherwise that list of wines would have had a lot more burgundy and Rhône! But they’ve been sending me pics.

Alfert took a video at the top of the hike looking down on all the trees changing color, I showed my wife and she said “oh I would have totally gone if I knew it was this”
Me “you weren’t invited tho?”
Her “oh ok. Good you didn’t go then.”
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

K John Joseph
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#32 Post by K John Joseph »

Breakfast Saturday morning has been tremendous. Jorge made a breakfast omelet that looked like a calzone with like 8 pounds of sausage and bacon bits and gorgonzola. I had to flex on him so fuggin hard so I made an exquisitely cooked black truffle omelet with a sprinkling of mozz and kerrygold irish butter, topped with kaluga hybrid caviar and paired with 2008 Taittinger Comtes and 2002 Krug champagne.

Champagne is funny stuff. It's hard not to get rolling when you're drinking champagne this good. Alfert had to switch from La Croix to Comtes after swearing he was going without. His will lasted six minutes seventeen seconds.

2008 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne I love a good blanc de blanc and A. Weinberg is right that this is so freaking good now. It's bright, intense, and giving all at the same time. Bright citrus, mandarin, ginger, hit of shortbread. Great energy, but expressive, bright fruit. It's so good and fresh. Nice spice on the back end. 95-96ish. Yum.

2002 Krug Oh my goodness we're drinking such good champagne this trip. This is showing a slightly more oxidative style, but it is also fresh with an interesting combination of lemon, lemon curd, biscuit, baked spiced apples, hint of oak and peach. This is so structured and actually has tannins. Acidity that makes my mouth water, with a hint of tannins that dries things out. 95-96 too. Tough to pick a favorite. This Krug is a long hauler. If you're looking for a Krug to age decades, I think this might be it.

Oh, and the omelet was g-damn fabulous. I look forward to my first Mich star.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

c fu wrote: October 16th, 2021, 9:44 am
JDavisRoby wrote: October 15th, 2021, 4:19 pm

Baby mama wouldn’t let me go. Otherwise that list of wines would have had a lot more burgundy and Rhône! But they’ve been sending me pics.

Alfert took a video at the top of the hike looking down on all the trees changing color, I showed my wife and she said “oh I would have totally gone if I knew it was this”
Me “you weren’t invited tho?”
Her “oh ok. Good you didn’t go then.”
That was the comment where I naturally thought she was talking about us Studly sweaty dudes posing on the mountain top cliff, but no, she meant the trees.

@lfert

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#34 Post by c fu »

K John Joseph wrote: October 16th, 2021, 9:27 am Thanks to pepto and a 3 mile hike with 1000 feet of elevation change at 4900 feet, and an ease into wines at Paoletti's, I managed to rally and be in great shape at dinner. Carnes is clearly a rock star in Highlands. Our service was exceptional and my elk chop was one of the most enjoyable entrees I've had in the past few years. Amazing. The wine service by Kyle, the Paoletti's somm, was also exceptional.

But before we headed to the restaurant we hit up sum Fuviar from Astrea, Kaluga, Oscetria, and Schrenki. Fantastic stuff with a couple of champagnes to lube up.

Laherte Freres A Chavot Ultradition Rose An interesting and fun starter made of 100% meunier. Musky peach, pomegranate and lemon with some spicy notes. Very nice, if a bit less complex than some of the other wines we've been drinking. Lovely wine for enjoying the truly spectacular view on Carnes's porch. 90-91

2002 Dom Perignon P2 Holy shit the density and intensity on this champagne is unreal. The color is intensely yellow. The nose is a hair shy at first but opens up to intense lemon oil, chalky minerality, ginger, and kiwi with a tiny hint of lemongrass. This is so packed with intensity. I think this is really phenomenal stuff. So dense, so fresh, so intense, citric and just killer. A ball of vinous energy. Phenomenal. Where the Cristal is open and lush and fruity and giving, this is a dense ball of verve and bright energy. Stunning. Can age another 20 years. 97-98.

Shortly after these champagnes is when I hit the pepto, which had high toned notes of chalk, chalky artificial bubble gum, and chalky strawberry scented grundle.

As we pulled up to Paoletti's I admit I was a bit shaky. I think Carnes and I were in the same spot. Feeling full, maybe a little heartburn, definitely hung over. Small sipping at first. Then the pepto kicked in and we rallied and felt phenomenal.

3 Flights at Paoletti's. All 82s.

The first flight was single blind 82 Meyney v 82 La Lagune. I flipped the wines. I assumed the more lively, better structured, and fresher wine was the 82 Meyney, in part because it is not a medoc, and also because the fill on the bottle was sensational.

1982 La Lagune This is fresh and vibrant with cherry and raspberry, sharpened pencil, hint of earth, and really nice baking spice and cinnamon. Nice acidity and good structure. I actually really enjoyed this wine and found it fresh and vibrant. 92ish

1982 Meyney This smells and tastes a little over the hill to me. This is forest floor and desiccated fruit turning to that over the hill note. The structure is, to me, a little faded and lacking verve. This is like 83-84 for me.

The second flight was the big dog flight. 1982 La Mission Haut Brion, 1982 Leoville Las Cases, 1982 Mouton.

1982 Mouton Really fine and balanced with nice red and black fruit, chinese five spice, nice hints of cedar and licorice. This is beautiful and after tasting this first, I'm not sure it's going to be beat. Over time, this hangs in there or gets better. Just rock solid, excellent balance. The color on this was excellent, and its aromatics are just lovely. Good stuff. 96-97

1982 Leoville Las Cases This is a fascinating wine. It's very well structured, very dark in color, black fruit, hint of tobacco, spice, licorice. What was odd was that even with the deep black fruit, and really lovely blackberry notes, there is a pyrazine green pepper note. I really like it, and the acid and tannins on this are spot on. This can continue to age. It's in a great spot. Really rock solid here too. 96-97

1982 La Mission Haut Brion Wow, what a bright nose of raspberry, blackberry, crushed rocks, bright red licorice, hint of wood, violets. I might have guessed Margaux if this was double blind. The acid here is nice, and the structure is killer. Unfortunately, this actually started to fade over the next hour, and the fruit went from bright to faded and slightly muddy. This went from first to third for me. It was so bright and so good, and then it wasn't at the end of the dinner. 93-94

By the end of dinner, I could not decide whether I like the Mouton or LLC more. Obviously, I wish the La Mish had not started fading because it was so bright and killer at first.

Third "flight" was just a non-blind 82 Barolo with entrees.

1982 Giacomo Conterno Cascina Francia Riserva Barolo I was a little worried on the nose at first because it was iron and tar, but not showing much fruit and a little musky. Then I took a sip. Bright tart cherry, rose, tarry, spicy earthy finish with bright acidity and stout tannins keeping everything upright. This is money. And the nose opened up to show some of that bright cherry as this evolved. Really nice. 93-94.

While not the star of the show, we started with a really nice white burgundy to set the stage.

2017 Vincent and Sophie Morey Chassagne Montrachet Started with this at the restaurant. A really nice, vibrant chard with great minerality, good complexity. Great lemon oil, bright apple, asian pear, limestone notes. Solid wine. 91ish

For full disclosure, and I did disclose it, when the blind big boy flight was poured, I saw that the second wine was the LLC because it had a tiny piece of tape on the bottom of the decanter and the somm's hand didn't cover it when he poured. I looked away on the last and never saw the first, so I had to guess La Mish and Mouton and did. Everyone nailed all 3, actually, which was amazing.

Kyle, the somm at Paoletti's, was awesome and Julio, our waiter, was one of the best servers I've had at any restaurant.
Kyle posted a picture of the wines in one of our FB groups and I commented that I couldn’t make the boyz weekend and he replied

“They made the comment “should we text Charlie?”. I kinda thought it was you when they said “he wouldn’t like any of this shit”. 😂
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Mattstolz »

James Lyon wrote: October 15th, 2021, 12:00 pm I can be there in 2-3 hours...

Enjoy the weekend.
ha i thought the same thing!

brigcampbell
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#36 Post by brigcampbell »

Keep them coming boys!

Awesome
Don't hate me just because I'm rich and drive a Ferrari. I could buy this wine board. - Cash Steele

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Craig G »

K John Joseph wrote: October 16th, 2021, 9:27 amI assumed the more lively, better structured, and fresher wine was the 82 Meyney, in part because it is not a medoc
[scratch.gif]
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

K John Joseph
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#38 Post by K John Joseph »

Craig G wrote: October 16th, 2021, 12:34 pm
K John Joseph wrote: October 16th, 2021, 9:27 amI assumed the more lively, better structured, and fresher wine was the 82 Meyney, in part because it is not a medoc
[scratch.gif]
Super lazy writing. I assumed the Meyney would be more structured because I associate that with many wines from St Estephe. As opposed to the Lagune, which is Haut Medoc, and not always as structured from my experience.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Charlie Carnes
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#39 Post by Charlie Carnes »

Robert.A.Jr. wrote: October 16th, 2021, 9:37 am Gotta at least post Kane’s breakfast pic. Black truffle eggs with Fuviar, 2008 Comtes and 2002 Krug. Both amazing champagnes.

7754D71F-CC0E-4E96-BD38-A3E2EFDBFAA2.jpeg

Ok, the omelet was off the charts!!!! Amazing
Mr. President, it is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth and listen to the song of that siren till she transforms us into beasts... Patrick Henry

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

57C9871D-36E1-4BD0-BFFA-CE4F9126E845.jpeg

2005 Vatan Clos de Neore

A truly spectacular nose. Like stop in your tracks, time slows, don’t even bother a taste. Super bright tropical and white fruits. White florals. Lanolin and honey. And perhaps a slight oxidative nose. Palate drops off a little bit, but still in the spectacular range. River bed stones, yellow fruits, including sweet concentrated yellow raisins. Still has some chewiness. I’ve had a lot of Vatan these last few years but none with this level of maturity. I have a case of mixed vintages, and my allocation has been shut off, but now I know to sit on them for ten to fifteen or more years. This 2005 still has more time to evolve, to allow the palate to match the nose. All together a stunning wine. (96-97 pts.)

@lfert

Rich K0rz€nk0
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#41 Post by Rich K0rz€nk0 »

Well done Gents. Sounds fantastic.

If there is a future Jamboree, ping. I'll ante up some treasures. I"m SC buf still my backyard.

The rundown of the 82s sounds like a treat.
Time Person of the Year - 2006

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

Poseurs!

@lfert

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

Robert.A.Jr. wrote: October 16th, 2021, 6:08 pm Poseurs!
Did you guys cook anything, or just sit aroun trying to look pretty?

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

Tom G l a s g o w wrote: October 16th, 2021, 6:34 pm
These guys can cook! I’m pretty close to unhelpful. I’m the moral support.

7407EFA5-021D-4AB5-AFA3-823ACF398BB7.jpeg

Flannery NY Strip and Ribeye. Hangar steak for snacking. Truffle mashed potatoes. Mushrooms Jirge-style were unreal.

@lfert

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Tom G l a s g o w »

Robert.A.Jr. wrote: October 16th, 2021, 7:15 pm

7407EFA5-021D-4AB5-AFA3-823ACF398BB7.jpeg

Flannery NY Strip and Ribeye. Hangar steak for snacking. Truffle mashed potatoes. Mushrooms Jirge-style were unreal.
I wasn’t suggesting either of you should cook. Surprised they didn’t try to convince you the strip was filet.

Markus S

#46 Post by Markus S »

Robert.A.Jr. wrote: October 16th, 2021, 4:38 pm 57C9871D-36E1-4BD0-BFFA-CE4F9126E845.jpeg

2005 Vatan Clos de Neore

A truly spectacular nose. Like stop in your tracks, time slows, don’t even bother a taste. Super bright tropical and white fruits. White florals. Lanolin and honey. And perhaps a slight oxidative nose. Palate drops off a little bit, but still in the spectacular range. River bed stones, yellow fruits, including sweet concentrated yellow raisins. Still has some chewiness. I’ve had a lot of Vatan these last few years but none with this level of maturity. I have a case of mixed vintages, and my allocation has been shut off, but now I know to sit on them for ten to fifteen or more years. This 2005 still has more time to evolve, to allow the palate to match the nose. All together a stunning wine. (96-97 pts.)
Yeah, that's a nice wine. Bought when I could find (and afford) them.
$ _ € ® e . k @

JDavisRoby
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#47 Post by JDavisRoby »

Robert.A.Jr. wrote: October 16th, 2021, 7:15 pm
How much moral support did KJJ need when his Longhorns lost to a team from Oklahoma for the second week in a row?
Joshu@

Max S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Max S. »

K John Joseph wrote: October 16th, 2021, 9:27 am Shortly after these champagnes is when I hit the pepto, which had high toned notes of chalk, chalky artificial bubble gum, and chalky strawberry scented grundle.
Got me cracking up
"And just to be clear, this is a post criticizing people who criticize people who criticize for a living . . ." - J Bloom

5 w 0 m l 3 y

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

Max S. wrote: October 16th, 2021, 9:16 pm
K John Joseph wrote: October 16th, 2021, 9:27 am Shortly after these champagnes is when I hit the pepto, which had high toned notes of chalk, chalky artificial bubble gum, and chalky strawberry scented grundle.
Got me cracking up
I missed that, hysterical.

@lfert

Julian Marshall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by Julian Marshall »

Great wines, great fun - well done all of you, what larks eh! It's about time somebody invented teleporting so Scotty could beam me over.

Return to “Wine Talk”