Foreign restaurant wine lists with Calif. wines

Usually they are less than extensive with the obvious selections. But Geranium in Copenhagen is an exception. Check out the Napa and Central Coast list for example(pages 117-129):

After converting some of the prices to US$, I guess it’s not too hard to maintain a long list if you’re not expecting to sell anything…

Welcome to Scandinavian wine pricing…

Extremely long list of Corison, going back to 1989.

Sadly, though, no Togni & no Arcadian.

I didn’t bother to do the currency conversion.

Generally I have found in most wine producing countries they major on domestic products, and in others like the UK Californian wines are relatively expensive. They don’t therefore tend to have a strong presence in European restaurants. Geranium really is an exception to the rule.

Geranium is probably the best wine list I’ve ever seen in a restaurant. And the food and service are absolutely top notch. Well deserved #2 restaurant in the world.

That’s a stunning list - top to bottom. So many trophies.

Divide the price by 6 to get the approximate dollar equivalent.

Imagine: 30(!) vintages of Dominus, 11 of Sine Qua Non and 14 of Screaming Eagle including a magnum of the '92. Mind boggling.

True. But finding something to match the food at a reasonable price is somewhat harder. But reasonable is personal!

There’s not so much wine production in Denmark!

The Geranium list is exceptional in many ways. Many French Michelin star restaurants carry little to no US wine. The standard answer when asked why, is “People come to France to drink French wine.”

Just one red from Denmark on the list

Impressive to see '08 Comtes offered by the glass, although not cheap. The bottle price isn’t bad. '74 Monday Reserve is not something I would have expected on the list, let alone any Mondavi. '18 Coche Meursault for $700 US is current retail. I wonder how they price the bottles that say 'Rarity" like '76 Jayer. Although I guess if you have to ask, you can’t afford it anyways.

1 Like

I’m sure it’s very costly to import US wines, but hard to justify picking them over other wines at the same price.

For 6000 DKR ($935), you can drink:
1995 Ridge Monte Bello
2013 Shafer HSS
2011 Dalla Valle Maya

Or you can drink Rayas, pick any vintage from 01, 04, 06, 07, 08.

I guess if you’re European, you probably have way more access to Rayas than Shafer HSS, but in the US, Shafer HSS goes for ~$300 on the secondary market, whereas 2007 Rayas has been hammering close to $1500.

1 Like

But 6 whites!

Agreed. You need a thick wallet but I did think as I was reading it that you could drink quite well for AU $300 to $500. A lot of the big guns were at auction price in today’s crazy world, but I did balk at the rarities section whereby if the wine is faulty, the customer wears it. To me that is not really cricket.

Sometimes it seems like US wines are like German wines - the local population is prosperous enough to gobble up all the high end wines, so they don’t ‘need’ the export markets the way other nations might.

Go to page 142 for the prices on the ‘rarities’. The '76 Jayer is ~$21,500. Most expensive is the SE '92 mag at ~$65,000.

Which is true.