Napa Valley Port Cellars

A recent winebid pull (84) Napa Valley Port Cellars has me wondering if anyone knows the original source? Seems like they only made wine from 84-86, and I can only imagine sourced grapes. I don’t expect miracles from my bottles but as an 84 birth year it’s hard to find anything worth drinking in the world’s worst wine year :joy:. Just curious is anyone knows any background?

Would love to know more about these as well. I bought a few 86s from Envoyer for my wife’s birth year earlier this year.

Found the Envoyer email:

“A lost treasure from many years ago, Napa Valley Port Cellars was once the house wines for the Michelin Starred restaurant La Toque. Made by a Port enthusiast who had one of the best vintage Port collections in the western USA during their heyday, these were some of the best Port Napa had to offer. Made with Cabernet Sauvignon grapes sourced from the Napa Valley, this was his take on the best Port of the Region. The ports were forgotten, with wineries and consumers shifting their focus to the Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay from Napa. This is a selection that came from the winemaker’s private cellar. We tasted through several vintages, and the 1986 was our favorite and is still holding, and should continue to drink well over the next five years. This is a serious bottle at this price point and a gem that fans of this style of wine will enjoy.”

Awesome, this board never fails that I can post an incredibly rare wine and get something helpful in a couple hours! Excited to check these out now. Wonder who the source was…

Picked this up from Winebid recently. Not vintage-dated…label says copyright 1988. Will report back.
4516E10F-9D90-4369-977D-0A392408058E.jpeg

I could be wrong but I think they were made by Shawn Denkler.

Envoyer offered some '85s a while back for a song so I bought a few. I now have two '86s and two '85s that I need to sample. I’ll do so soon and report back.

Please do!