Girl and the Goat - Chicago. Wine list assistance. Menu included

I’ll be eating with 20 of my travel friends at Girl and The Goat in Chicago in a couple of weeks. Dinner will be in the private room downstairs.

They’re asking us to pick 4 wines from this list:

Underground Goat Wine List Please select up to 4 wines to be charged on consumption by the bottle

Cleto Chiarli Brut Rosé $56
Villa Wolf Pinot Noir $56
Ant Moore Sauvignon Blanc $60
Bacchus Chardonnay $60
Bernabeleva Camino de Navaherreros Garnacha $60
Stephen Vincent Cabernet Sauvignon $64
Selbach Oster Riesling Feinherb $65
BonAnno Cabernet Sauvignon $75
Lopez de Heredia Crianza Rioja Tempranillo $80
Cline Gust Chardonnay $85
Charles Heidsieck Brut Reserve Champagne $99
Francois le Saint “Silex” Sancerre $83
Domaine Faiveley Mercurey Rouge $95
Thomas Labille 1er Chablis $99
Domaine Huet Clos du Bourg Vouvray Sec $100
Ch. Lescours St. Emilion Grand Cru $100

This is the possible dinner menu:

seasonal bread & spreads

*subject to change daily/weekly

hamachi crudo - umami mayo . soy chili vinaigrette . tempura furikake . smoked trout roe
goat empanadas - smoked blueberry . piparra . idiazabal cheese
duck tartareumami mayo . brussels sprouts . pickled shallots . gooseberries
roasted squash - ramp-golden beet giardiniera . yuzu koshu . party nuts
shrimp & gotham greens salad. avocado . strawberry . pickled veggies . quinoa crunch . limey-herby dressing
wood grilled broccoli - smoked bleu cheese . spiced crispies
sautéed green beans - fish sauce aoili . cashews
sticky braised pork shank - strawberry, shiitake, and ramp giardiniere . hoisin mayo . hot mustard
family style: assortment of seasonal desserts

What wines work best with the above. I appreciate all the help.

Dan

For my tastes, I would choose from these. I might opt for 2 bottles of Champagne and 1 Vouvray (or vice versa) and 1 bottle of red based on the menu, but it definitely leans towards white wines. The riesling looks to be a good choice for the meat course in place of the red and could possibly be better allowing for an all champagne & white wine dinner.

Lopez de Heredia Crianza Rioja Tempranillo $80 or Domaine Faiveley Mercurey Rouge $95 or Selbach Oster Riesling Feinherb $65

Pick four wines that you think offer a range of flavors that your friends will appreciate. (You presumably know these people, whereas none of us do.)
Nothing else matters.

where’s my invitation?

The Huet is versatile and well priced vis-a-vis the other options. Would definitely also go with the Heidesick. Cubillo is good and already has some age even if not well priced.

We have room if you’re interested. $200 to start. You may want to check the Community (offline) forum on FT.

Dan

That broccoli is a special dish - make sure to dup plenty on your plate. The Charles Heidsieck would go nicely with the richness of the blue cheese in it.

I’d put the Bernabeleva in the lineup. I really love this producer, and the Camino de Navaherreros is a good intro to the elegant style of old vine garnacha being made in Sierra de Gredos. Very food friendly and will go with most of the menu items, except the hamachi.

1 Like

If the food Chicago is anything like that in LA, the flavors are big and bold, heavily sauced. We thought Riesling and Chenin worked very well.

If you need a pre game, Lone Wolf just about across the street iirc generally has the full 3 Floyd’s line up which you may not see as much out east.

Heidsieck, Huet, Faiveley, Bernabeleva, in that order. Enjoy!

If it’s 2019 Huet, I’d just pick four of those.

This information has been helpful. Thanks.

Really enjoyed the Girl and the Goat in the past. They have a very solid wine selection and would be surprised if they did not have varietal selections that were spot on in terms of classic pairings. On another note, if you have time and are in town for a few days, I would hit Au Cheval down the street. Best burger I have ever had (multiple times confirm it). Get there early or late or the wait will be long as they do not accept reservations. Get the bacon and the egg on the single (which is a double patty) and be prepared to either be stuffed or to share.

Sorry for the thread devolution, but G&G and Au Cheval bring back great memories.

1 Like

what are the vintages Dan? I’d tend to take/agree with Markus’ list and then choose from either the Labille or the Selbach Oster if it’s a 19 or 15 e.g.

My 2.5 Canadian pesos. Have fun!

My friend in Chicago is setting this up. I’ll see if he can get the vintages. [cheers.gif]

Don’t count out the Cleto Chiarli. I bet people would go back to it with several of the small plates.

Bernabeleva Camino de Navaherreros Garnacha $60
Lopez de Heredia Crianza Rioja Tempranillo $80

Truth. That burger is special, and even makes for a heck of a delicious breakfast!

1 Like

They are almost certainly current vintages with the distributor. GatG sells through way too much wine for them to even consider holding back vintages