Renaissance Vineyards, Yuba, CA

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Jason L.
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Renaissance Vineyards, Yuba, CA

#1 Post by Jason L. »

These old wines made by Gideon Beinstock of Clos Saron have stood the test of time really well. Not every bottle is perfect but they are a very affordable way to get a look back into an earlier era of winemaking. I mention it because I see that Chambers St. sent an email with some inventory coming in shortly. You can get some still direct from the winery I believe. Not sure what the selection process was from Gideon on purchasing and relabelling but it's probably the better vintages.

I've always liked their Cabernet and Granite Crown bottlings, as well as the Roussanne. I know there's been a little bit of talk about them but couldn't find a thread devoted to them yet.
Stereophonic Wine
Wines from Paso, SLO and Napa. Something different - see our BD12 Newbie Intro.
Founder, Jason Lefler
🎧🍷

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Renaissance Vineyards, Yuba, CA

#2 Post by John Morris »

I think if you search "beinstock" you'll find a bunch of threads about Renaissance.
"I'll pay you five gallons of petrol and a valentine nailed to the forehead of the last lawyer you loved." -- Tom Waits to David Lynch

"But they told me there would be a hand basket."

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Robert.A.Jr. »

I’ve posted a smattering of reviews going back to wines from the 1990s. I bought a couple cases direct. Some showed really well, but others did not, which I attribute to the storage conditions. The corks were generally in terrible condition. When they shined, they were beauties. Old school California Cab and blends! I saw that Chambers offering but am likely to pass.
“Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my sh*t.“
(Country Squire, circa 2020)

@lfert

JViolini

#4 Post by JViolini »

The real "cult" wine!
Flatiron Wines has had the Taken From Granite wines he made for sale in the last year it seems.
I have 95 Soleil & 98 Elegance. I drank a 95 Soleil earlier in the year: "Decanted did a decent amount of sediment and let sit for about an hour. Does not come across as 26 years old.
Fresh leather, black cherry, raspberry turnover filling, roobios tea, soil. While the nose has a few older notes there’s enough acidity to freshen things up and tannins that offer a seamless experience."
Justin (itb)

Mark Mason
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Mark Mason »

Lots of old memories with Renaissance wines- often rustic and mostly enjoyable but it's been many years now.
Hard water fisherman

RH Drexel

#6 Post by RH Drexel »

Absolutely wonderful article about it here: https://www.sfchronicle.com/wine/articl ... 175429.php
Sao Anash
Pen Name: RH Drexel
ITB/Writer/Publicist/Marketing Consultant
Late Bloomer

Bill Sweeney
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Bill Sweeney »

Had the 1999 Renaissance Vin de Terroir last night, two hours double decanted. Completely ready and very wonderful. Lots of red berries. Not huge like many American cab or cab blends, much more restrained.

Glenn L e v i n e
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#8 Post by Glenn L e v i n e »

VdT have been my favorite Renaissance wines. I rode my Harley up there 15 years ago.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Glenn L e v i n e
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#9 Post by Glenn L e v i n e »

Thread got me to uncork these two gems, with three-day prepared pork molé negro.

00 Cab Sav is straight-up Pauillac, maybe a solid 1996. Overachieving in every sense, pure old school bliss.

05 Granite Crown is 60% Syrah and the rest Bordeaux varietals. Wine had vinegar stink upon uncorking but was glorious an hour later. Blind I think I’d guess old Walla Walla. Just Killa.

00FBC1C9-B0E3-4514-823E-35EBC8B2484E.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Return to “Wine Talk”