TN: 2003 Joh. Jos. Christoffel Erben Erdener Treppchen Riesling Auslese **

• **2003 Joh. Jos. Christoffel Erben Erdener Treppchen Riesling Auslese **** - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (10/10/2021)
    Yep remember this one? $14.95 Weekend special pricing at PC?!?!??! In stock too. I think it was one of there first weekend Specials (but I could be wrong). Anyhoo - the wine - yes, my note from Jan 2006 was ‘needed more acidity’ and I recall thinking this was a blowsy Auslese from a super hot vintage, not destined for great things. !5 years later… a revaluation, this was terrific. Even my wife enjoyed it who has pegged any Pradikatt German Riesling as ‘Dale’s Juice Boxes”. Not only had the acidity come out to play but there was a lovely core crystalline green apple fruit - pure and so refreshing. More than adequate representation of soil, perfect balance and just…… yes yes yes. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

I agree that this is an overachiever for the price, if not the producer. Enough acid to balance the considerable sweetness, even in 2003, and creaminess enhances the lusciousness. I’ve just started to drink them in the last couple of years.

Such a deal, and thanks for the note. I’m down to 2 bottles left of this one, and 5 of the UW ***. I think I bought a case of each, plus a case of a third one (was there a Spat in the offer?), which I “never” do, but I’m glad I did.

I believe the Spatlese was $8. Mine were consumed long ago. I too recently enjoyed this wine, also none left, but have a couple of the UW *** left.

David

Here’s (one of ?) the offer from December 2005 … I didn’t buy the Eiswein, but picked up the other 3. I’m down to a couple bottles of each and it sounds like it’s time to open some up.

JJ Christoffel

2003 Erdener Treppchen Auslese** (Full List 45.00) 13.99
93 points Rovani: '“The complex 2003 Riesling Auslese Erdener Treppchen ** boasts a nose of honeysuckle blossoms. Medium-bodied, supple, and silky-textured, it exhibits an expressive flavor profile composed of red fruits, pears, and spices. In addition, this luscious, pure wine possesses a long, fruit-filled finish. Anticipated maturity: 2007-2018.”

2003 Urziger Wurzgarten Auslese*** (Full List 50.00) 15.99
93 points Rovani: '“Were it not for a note of alcoholic warmth detected in its finish, the 2003 Riesling Auslses Urziger Wurzgarten *** would have earned an even higher score. Sweet spiced apple and pear scents are detected in his concentrated wine’s aromatics. Armed with gorgeous depth, purity, and length, it slathers the palate with soft layers of pears, spices, and candied minerals. Projected maturity: 2007-2020.”

2003 Urziger Wurzgarten Spatlese (Full List 27.00) 7.99
89 points Rovani: '“Slate, black currants, and minerals are found in the aromatic profile of the 2003 Riesling Spatlese Urziger Wurzgarten. Medium-bodied, it reveals a juicy, polite personality filled with apples, candied lemons, and zesty citrus fruits. Projected maturity: 2006-2012.”

2002 Urziger Wurzgarten Eiswein 1/2 (Full List 159.00) 37.99
93 points Rovani: '“The 2002 Riesling Eiswein Urziger Wurzgarten’s jammy apricot-scented nose is more reminiscent of a tangy Beerenauslese’s than an Eiswein’s. It has spectacular focus, precision, and reveals loads of sweet, zesty limes, white pepper, apricot, and lemon flavors in its driven personality. This concentrated but not super-rich Eiswein should be drunk over the next 40 years.”

As you are likely aware, it’s hard to imagine a less reliable published view on German Rieslings, especially drinking windows, than Pierre Rovani.

1 Like

Post script - I left the last third of this bottle at my dads place a week a ago - dropped by to check on something as they were out of town and noticed it was still there. After being open a week - absolutely no loss of freshness or verve - 18 year old Riesling and open a week - wow!