Alsatian & Sushi

IMG_20211007_195710.jpg
There is a small Japanese place that is a little bit of a drive from us, but offers extremely high quality and visually appealing sushi. Their main drawback is that is its run by a couple, who are unwilling to compromise on their food by hiring anyone, so patrons generally have to order the day before (for takeout), and get a timeslot for a pickup. It’s always been cumbersome to deal with them, so between the above and the distance, our patronage has been limited. My better half volunteered to do pickup (and wait) there, while I volunteered to open a (bottom shelf) Alsatian blanc to go with it.
PXL_20211008_020911953.jpg
2017 Hugel ‘Gentil’ [Alsace] 12.5% abv, light bodied, fresh but not tart. Agglomerated cork. Probably blended from whatever is laying around after the families’ single vineyard or varietal wines are made, but still good. Half dozen varieties, mostly pinot blanc/sylvaner and so on. Cut white fruit. Quite cold, not very aromatic, but a good pair for Asian/Japanese food. Not a wine to overthink, just quaff and enjoy. I’d slot this in the B zone. It’s been a very long time since I’ve drunk this cuvee, at least 10-15 years. Alsace as a region is only a few bottles at the most among my cellar.
IMG_20211007_200219.jpg