FedEx Is Coming Apart at the Seams

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Richard Albert

FedEx Is Coming Apart at the Seams

#1 Post by Richard Albert »

Waited to ship a case of older Mondavi Res, Plumpjack and Pride Cabs from NY as soon as the national high temp map looked good on 9/30.
The original delivery date was this Thursday as well as per the email showing the box scanned in Kansas a couple of days ago.
Today, the box is sitting in AZ in 92 degrees, plus it will take another week to get it to SF!
WTF!

The FedEx rep and supervisor had one excuse, too high a volume now.
Chaotic, a company in over its head, delivery off by 100% and rerouting from KS to thru AZ not directly to Sacramento is a mystery which will no doubt ruin the case!

I suggest we all use any other common carrier for the foreseeable future.
Last edited by Richard Albert on October 6th, 2021, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ITB

Jason L.
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

Re: FedEx Is Coming Apart at the Seams

#2 Post by Jason L. »

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case for the other common carriers too.
Stereophonic Wine
Wines from Paso, SLO and Napa. Something different - see our BD12 Newbie Intro.
Founder, Jason Lefler
🎧🍷

M1chael Dom1ngo

#3 Post by M1chael Dom1ngo »

It seems like ground services in general are taking the brunt of it - instead of using another carrier, when in doubt, go with 2nd day air or overnight. Or hold shipping entirely.

B. Davies

#4 Post by B. Davies »

paid for overnight morning delivery... it's been 3 days and I haven't gotten my item. :|
WSET III
Accountant --> Boutique Wine Store Manager
Bill Davies

David_K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by David_K »

I've tried to stop ordering from the other coast. Too costly and uncertain and it's rare that it's something that absolutely can't be found elsewhere.
K@ntrОwi╦z

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Mark Y »

4 shipments this week with fedex.. 2 are delayed..
Y.e.

Eric Sch

#7 Post by Eric Sch »

It's not just cross country, shipments from California to Portland are silly too. It was bad in spring but even worse now. What used to be 2 days ground from Bay Area to PDX is now completely unpredictable, likely taking over a week. Portland subreddit is full of screen captures showing packages doing crazy stuff for weeks at the local distrution hub. I'm very afraid for my fall shipments.

Combined with issues from the retailers themselves, it's a sign for me to wind down purchases for a while. Two well respected retailers often discussed on this board have royally screwed up recently. One agreed to ship last Monday and didn't, then said Tuesday, then informed me today they want to ship Friday. That's only half my pending bottles from them, and they couldn't deliver me accurate records of my purchases.
$ ¢ ħ ω έ ŋ τ Ʃ ɍ
"Cristal's out schoolboy... make it a magnum of Grande Dame and I'll think about it."

Richard Albert

#8 Post by Richard Albert »

I withdraw my bid for most screwed up shipment.
ITB

R M Kriete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by R M Kriete »

Took 14 days for my Eyrie wine to reach me!
Rhodes M Kriete

J. Rock
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by J. Rock »

I'm in CA and just order from CA so I don't need to worry about shipping. I've always has wonderful experiences with GSO, although my last shipment took 2 days instead of one, which I don't think it that bad.
J o r d a n

WOTY 2020: 1982 Cakebread Cellars Sauvignon Blanc Late Harvest Rutherford Gold

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Warren Taranow »

I’m not surprised. The whole world is coming apart at the seams, especially shipping, supply chain and staffing. I’m holding any shipping until November, but risk not seeing them arrive until 2022!
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

Len Stevens

#12 Post by Len Stevens »

When I have a choice, I NEVER use FedEx...my local drivers SUCK!!!!! My UPS driver rocks and we have exchanged phone numbers.

Dennis Atick
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#13 Post by Dennis Atick »

Yep. And related- Order your Christmas gifts early!

@decaturwinedude

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Bdklein »

Len Stevens wrote: October 6th, 2021, 12:43 pm When I have a choice, I NEVER use FedEx...my local drivers SUCK!!!!! My UPS driver rocks and we have exchanged phone numbers.
When and where is the first date ?
B r u c € K 1 e 1 n

B. Davies

#15 Post by B. Davies »

WSET III
Bill Davies

Victor Hong

#16 Post by Victor Hong »

Talk to people who are trying to relocate. [swoon.gif]
WineHunter.

K John Joseph
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17 Post by K John Joseph »

By contrast, I shipped some, uh, lava lamps from Texas to Florida overnight air morning delivery UPS and they showed up on time. I also ordered some stuff from REI, it shipped next day, arrival three business days later. So maybe all is not lost.
J0hn-J-K4ne

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Jayson Cohen »

David_K wrote: October 6th, 2021, 12:01 pm I've tried to stop ordering from the other coast. Too costly and uncertain and it's rare that it's something that absolutely can't be found elsewhere.
I did that for a few years. And I’m done with most of them. But for a couple places I started buying from again, unless temp controlled, I just wait until Nov. or early Dec. to ship ground.

Arv R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Arv R »

Richard Albert wrote: October 6th, 2021, 11:47 am Waited to ship a case of older Mondavi Res, Plumpjack and Pride Cabs from NY as soon as the national high temp map looked good on 9/30.
The original delivery date was this Thursday as well as per the email showing the box scanned in Kansas a couple of days ago.
Today, the box is sitting in AZ in 92 degrees, plus it will take another week to get it to SF!
WTF!

Chaotic, a company in over its head, delivery off by 100% and rerouting from KS to thru AZ not directly to Sacramento is a mystery which will no doubt ruin the case!

It's not just FedEx, it's pretty much everything with transport/energy/labor etc.

If you're really relying on shippers promises, you're going to be end up enraged no matter who you use. Just budget more time and wider temperature bands than you'd think.
R_@_0
https://dilbert.com/strip/1991-12-08

Tom R W

#20 Post by Tom R W »

Used Fed Ex last week for a wine shipment, Boston to Minnesota. Was quoted 4 day delivery and that was exactly what happened- worked perfectly. I'm sure volumes on the coasts are higher, so maybe location/geography dependent?
W a r r e n

GregT

#21 Post by GregT »

It's drivers.

There are all kinds of stories about the "mass resignations" etc., where people are just not going back to work. In some states they encourage not working by sending assistance checks and by restricting evictions. And then there are people who have simply retired instead of going back to work and feeling at risk. Everyone has some definitive theory about it but it's a very strange time and I don't believe anyone really understands what is going on in the economy.

In any event, as a result of all the pandemic, trucking companies cannot hire drivers. And although it wasn't widely discussed, it actually started prior to the pandemic.

The current shortage is affecting towing companies, waste management companies, and things you wouldn't imagine, like shredding services, gas stations, and medical services. The owner of a towing company told me he was shutting down and two weeks ago he just closed up his shop. He had a fleet of tow trucks and no one to drive them. He couldn't meet contractual obligations and he was paying insurance and taxes and figured he'd sell for whatever he could get. An owner of a waste hauling company outside of St. Louis said that he was offering $75,000 a year PLUS a $7500 signing bonus and he still couldn't find drivers. And this was in Missouri, where that money goes a long way, not the expensive coastal states.

There's a nationwide shortage of truck drivers. Buttigieg and a few other Biden admin officials have been meeting with people in the trucking industry to figure out what to do, but good luck with any quick solutions.

And it's world wide. In the UK they are using the military for trucking.

So I wouldn't necessarily blame FedEx.
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by John Glas »

B. Davies wrote: October 6th, 2021, 11:56 am paid for overnight morning delivery... it's been 3 days and I haven't gotten my item. :|
That is not acceptable and should be a full refund!

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by John Glas »

What is the rush on shipping? West coast temps are too high. It was 80 in MN the other day. Wine sitting on a hot truck all day is not good for the wine. If you are doing ground wait!

Cameron Hughes
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#24 Post by Cameron Hughes »

GregT wrote: October 6th, 2021, 2:18 pm It's drivers.

There are all kinds of stories about the "mass resignations" etc., where people are just not going back to work. In some states they encourage not working by sending assistance checks and by restricting evictions. And then there are people who have simply retired instead of going back to work and feeling at risk. Everyone has some definitive theory about it but it's a very strange time and I don't believe anyone really understands what is going on in the economy.

In any event, as a result of all the pandemic, trucking companies cannot hire drivers. And although it wasn't widely discussed, it actually started prior to the pandemic.

The current shortage is affecting towing companies, waste management companies, and things you wouldn't imagine, like shredding services, gas stations, and medical services. The owner of a towing company told me he was shutting down and two weeks ago he just closed up his shop. He had a fleet of tow trucks and no one to drive them. He couldn't meet contractual obligations and he was paying insurance and taxes and figured he'd sell for whatever he could get. An owner of a waste hauling company outside of St. Louis said that he was offering $75,000 a year PLUS a $7500 signing bonus and he still couldn't find drivers. And this was in Missouri, where that money goes a long way, not the expensive coastal states.

There's a nationwide shortage of truck drivers. Buttigieg and a few other Biden admin officials have been meeting with people in the trucking industry to figure out what to do, but good luck with any quick solutions.

Yeah, this. Its widespread across industries and UPS is pretty much just as bad (though their on-time record is killing FedEx right now because, while they were built for ground shipments, FedEx was just ramping up for it). Which carrier you like depends on your driver quite frankly.

Richard Albert

#25 Post by Richard Albert »

John, it is 68 degrees just south of Sonoma right now and it will be cool, in the 70s, thru next Friday.

Shipment saga update:
Delivery still next Tuesday as per tracking page, but now it shows a Bakersfield, Ca scan? Huh?
So a delivery update is needed, or that Bakersfield scan is bogus...update, update, update, please.

Oh yeah, I forgot the older Heitz in the case. Update!
ITB

MikeL238
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by MikeL238 »

John Glas wrote: October 6th, 2021, 2:27 pm What is the rush on shipping? West coast temps are too high. It was 80 in MN the other day. Wine sitting on a hot truck all day is not good for the wine. If you are doing ground wait!
Yup. Only shipping if temperature controlled option is being offered.
Mike Leigh

Stephen Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Stephen Faulkner »

So, Cam, speaking of that, can we get some communication on what summer hold, mid-October means for De Negoce shipping? I've been trying for over a week to get some dialogue going with no response. I don't need everything at once and prefer to wait, spread things out, help ease the load on you/Mickey. But need two-way communication. Thanks.

Greg Gardner

#28 Post by Greg Gardner »

All of my shipments are coming from northern CA and OR and it is a bit nuts how much longer everything is. FedEx's major hub into Seattle is in Troutdale, OR and ground boxes usually get stuck there for days on end now. Stuff will make normal progress and then just sit in Troutdale for 4 or 5 days. At this point I am just assuming most shipments will take twice as long. That way I'm pleasantly surprised when something gets here on time.

I get a fair bit of vintage cast iron off of eBay and have been pleasantly surprised how good the USPS has been...who knew. Of course that's of no help with wine.

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by John Morris »

Richard Albert wrote: October 6th, 2021, 11:47 am Waited to ship a case of older Mondavi Res, Plumpjack and Pride Cabs from NY as soon as the national high temp map looked good on 9/30.
WTF!

Bummer. But there's no mystery to the routing. Most long-distance FedEx and UPS ground parcels go by rail, and it sounds like this is travelling via BNSF, whose lines from Chicago to California run through KC and AZ (thick red lines on map). If it were on Union Pacific (thin purple lines), it would go more directly, through Denver and Salt Lake City.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I'll pay you five gallons of petrol and a valentine nailed to the forehead of the last lawyer you loved." -- Tom Waits to David Lynch

"But they told me there would be a hand basket."

Brian G r a f s t r o m
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#30 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m »

This is one of many reasons I am extremely adverse to buying wines that need to be shipped to me. I make a couple exceptions for mailing lists, and those (predictably) are for wineries also on the west coast, and who hold for appropriate shipping weather. The situation detailed by Richard in his OP is not only likely to ruin the wines, but it also causes undue stress. No thanks.
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

William Gladstone
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#31 Post by William Gladstone »

Jason L. wrote: October 6th, 2021, 11:51 am I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case for the other common carriers too.
That is the case!
I just have the sense that the public is not yet aware how disrupted the supply chain is!
FED EX, UPS, Trucking, Air Cargo, Boat Cargo, I know it is shown on the national news,
however I do not think the public is aware how awful, disrupted all supply chain is.

Even the Chateau we order from eventually did not believe our reports..

I stopped at the more active WHOLE FOODS on the weekend and it is BAM - all of a sudden half a shelf
is empty.
There is no run yet on the usual products, that will come any day..

We continued to order - but what is the point? It will not reach us for the Holiday season.

We switched to United Airlines and such..

D@vid Bu3ker
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#32 Post by D@vid Bu3ker »

The public is aware - at least those with enough sense to notice. They just don’t all post on Berserkers.

Shipping issues are not restricted to wine. Normal people are feeling the pain as well.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Eric White »

this was months ago now, but FedEx screwed up on three consecutive Flannery shipments (same order), we finally switched to GSO and got my order, but what an incredible waste.

Richard Jen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Richard Jen »

In the past 4 months my wine.com shipments from Berkeley to Melo Park, about 40 miles apart and used to be delivered overnight, were almost all routed to Tracy and spent extra one or two days there... UPS shipment from Napa/Sonoma have been delivered overnight as usual.
[cheers.gif]

David_K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by David_K »

D@vid Bu3ker wrote: October 6th, 2021, 3:35 pm The public is aware - at least those with enough sense to notice. They just don’t all post on Berserkers.

Shipping issues are not restricted to wine. Normal people are feeling the pain as well.
Yeah, I think most people are aware. Nearly every product is having problems of some sort.
K@ntrОwi╦z

B. Davies

#36 Post by B. Davies »

David_K wrote: October 6th, 2021, 4:29 pm
D@vid Bu3ker wrote: October 6th, 2021, 3:35 pm The public is aware - at least those with enough sense to notice. They just don’t all post on Berserkers.

Yeah, I think most people are aware. Nearly every product is having problems of some sort.
Last week the news is like "BUY YOUR XMAS PRESENTS NOW!"
WSET III
Bill Davies

brigcampbell
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#37 Post by brigcampbell »

Eric White wrote: October 6th, 2021, 3:40 pm this was months ago now, but FedEx screwed up on three consecutive Flannery shipments (same order), we finally switched to GSO and got my order, but what an incredible waste.
We use GLS, they purchased GSO, for work shipments in the west. Working well for more than a year
Don't hate me just because I'm rich and drive a Ferrari. I could buy this wine board. - Cash Steele

Doug Schulman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Doug Schulman »

John Glas wrote: October 6th, 2021, 2:25 pm
B. Davies wrote: October 6th, 2021, 11:56 am paid for overnight morning delivery... it's been 3 days and I haven't gotten my item. :|
Then I would suggest you avoid Fedex, UPS, USPS, and probably DHL too. There are no longer guarantees on estimated shipping times, and at least for Fedex and UPS, there are no refunds.

Eric White
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Eric White »

brigcampbell wrote: October 6th, 2021, 4:40 pm
Eric White wrote: October 6th, 2021, 3:40 pm this was months ago now, but FedEx screwed up on three consecutive Flannery shipments (same order), we finally switched to GSO and got my order, but what an incredible waste.
We use GLS, they purchased GSO, for work shipments in the west. Working well for more than a year
yeah, it was actually GLS, since we're not in CA anymore :)

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by John Glas »

Doug Schulman wrote: October 6th, 2021, 6:04 pm
John Glas wrote: October 6th, 2021, 2:25 pm
Then I would suggest you avoid Fedex, UPS, USPS, and probably DHL too. There are no longer guarantees on estimated shipping times, and at least for Fedex and UPS, there are no refunds.
I only ship ground but if they say next day and someone pays a premium for that service you should be refunded. I would call corporate.

Andrew K.
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#41 Post by Andrew K. »

Had two shipments from NY via UPS Ground sent this week and both arrived on schedule in 2 days.

We'll see about cross country. I have 20 cases or so scheduled from CA to ship on Nov 1.
Last edited by Andrew K. on October 6th, 2021, 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
к𝓁ย𝐠

Al Osterheld
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#42 Post by Al Osterheld »

brigcampbell wrote: October 6th, 2021, 4:40 pm
They took 3-4 days to ship some wine to me from 45 miles away. The usual reasons like there weren't any adults present to sign, but the delivery address is a package receiving location that definitely had 2-3 adults present at the supposed delivery time. I think all the services are stressed and (to some degree) making up excuses rather than simply admitting it.

-Al

Larry Link
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Larry Link »

And yet anything I order from Amazon using my prime account shows up the next day without fail? Are they taking all the shipping capacity in the system?

Arv R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Arv R »

Larry Link wrote: October 6th, 2021, 8:08 pm And yet anything I order from Amazon using my prime account shows up the next day without fail? Are they taking all the shipping capacity in the system?
We have things we have been buying for years from Amazon be 'OOS' since last October.

Plenty of delays/issues with Amazon too, but not as bad as others since they control more of their own logistics.
R_@_0

Arv R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Arv R »

GregT wrote: October 6th, 2021, 2:18 pm It's drivers.

Great color Greg. WSJ had an article covering the particular nuances around school bus drivers: they apparently have more background checks, work only in the morning/afternoon (5-6 hrs a day but not continuous thus no 2nd job), and generally pay less than private sector. Unsurprisingly, districts are unable hire/retain this niche category of driver. There was something in another paper about fuel truck drivers along the same theme - more licensing, more danger, lousy work conditions.

And I can see why no one would want to go into the trade, if in 5-10 years Uber, Tesla, Cruise etc. will have fully automated truck driving work so any time/skills invested are worth nothing in the future.
R_@_0

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by John Morris »

Larry Link wrote: October 6th, 2021, 8:08 pm And yet anything I order from Amazon using my prime account shows up the next day without fail? Are they taking all the shipping capacity in the system?
They do a lot of fulfillment (warehousing, shipping) for other sellers, so it may be partly because you have more suppliers on one website.

On the other hand, I ordered a replacement top for a common Cuisinart food processor a few weeks ago. There were several sources on Amazon, but the earliest I could get it was several weeks. I was surprised.
"I'll pay you five gallons of petrol and a valentine nailed to the forehead of the last lawyer you loved." -- Tom Waits to David Lynch

"But they told me there would be a hand basket."

Eric Michels
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Eric Michels »

The Bloomberg Odd Lots podcast has had a number of very good episodes this year on the shipping trade. The original post immediately made me think of this episode on the U.S. rail network (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ail-system). It is worth a listen.

Jeremy Holmes

#48 Post by Jeremy Holmes »

Couriers the world over are under the pump. Massive increase in demand for home deliveries. Shortage of drivers and warehouse staff.
ITB

Victor Hong

#49 Post by Victor Hong »

Jeremy Holmes wrote: October 6th, 2021, 10:13 pm Couriers the world over are under the pump. Massive increase in demand for home deliveries. Shortage of drivers and warehouse staff.
I wonder if 10 Downing Street is on that delivery route.
WineHunter.

T Klonoski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by T Klonoski »

Stock price is down 25 percent during last 3 months, whereas S&P is slightly up.
While maybe not coming apart at the seams, seams are certainly showing some wear.
T0m . . . . watered back

Return to “Wine Talk”