CHARITY RAFFLE - WALK FOR ALS - $5,720 DONATED BY THE WB COMMUNITY

One of my close friends was recently diagnosed with ALS - a devastating turn of events - and we are doing all that we can to help. When his family organized a group to raise money for treatments and a cure, we were right on it. Today, the medical community has very little to offer ALS patients and the need for progress is immense.

I was inspired by Charlie’s awesome NAACP LDF fundraising blowout from last year to put up my own mini WB fundraiser. I don’t pretend to play at Charlie’s level but am hopeful that the WB community can be a part of making things better for patients and families touched by ALS.

Here’s how this will work:

1. Make a donation directly to the ALS Association using the donate link on my Walk for ALS page. (You must use one of the donate buttons on my fundraising page so your donation will be visible to my friend’s family and to other raffle participants.)
  2. Forward a copy of your donation receipt to jjj@winograd.net
  3. For every $20 in confirmed donations, you get 1 entry. All entries received will be confirmed via email within 24 hrs.
  4. Fundraiser closes at noon pacific Sat Oct 16.
  5. Drawing will be made the afternoon of closing and prizes awarded using Charlie’s process (though, unless Charlie throws his insta-savvy hat in the ring, I can’t promise it will be broadcast live on the interwebs).

The drawing is for a 750ml of Macdonald from my cellar - winner’s choice of any vintage 2014-2018. 2-day shipping anywhere in the CONUS is included.

If there is sufficient interest, I’ll contribute additional prizes. Community contributions of prizes are also welcome.

Thank you!

EDITED TO ADD (10/4):
In our first 24 hrs the Macdonald alone has generated $460 in contributions. Thank you to the participants for your support.

When the total donations reach $800 I will add a second 750ml bottle from my cellar to the drawing: 2015 Thierry Allemand Cornas Reynard.

Per Charlie’s process, each entry that is drawn in sequence will get their choice of remaining bottles.

EDITED TO ADD (10/9):
At the end of our first week we have reached $2,030 in contributions. Thank you to all the new participants!

When the total donations reach $2,500 I will add a third 750ml bottle from my cellar to the drawing: 2013 Bruno Giacosa Barolo Falletto Vigna Le Rocche.

Also, a reminder that anyone is welcome to contribute a bottle to the raffle. I will cover the costs of shipping it to the winner (to/from CONUS).

EDITED TO ADD (10/12):
With four days to go, we have reached $2,800 in contributions. What a great community effort!

It is time now to up the ante and introduce a bottle generously donated to this fundraiser from the cellar of berserker M.Kaplan.

When the total donations reach $3,250, Mark’s bottle of 2011 Marcel Juge Cornas will be added to the drawing. Thank you, Mark!

EDITED TO ADD (10/15):
With one day to go, we have reached $3,110 in contributions. Thank you to all the supporters.

Our final challenge is generously donated to this fundraiser from the cellar of berserker Steve Anderson.

When the total donations reach $3,500, Steve’s bottle of 2016 Macdonald Oakville Cabernet Sauvignon will be added to the drawing. Thank you, Steve!

EDITED TO ADD (10/15):
With a half day left to go, we are at $4,745 in contributions. The community blew so far past the last challenge that I’m compelled to join you in digging deep.

So I’m reaching to the back of my cellar for a rarity. When the total contributions reach $5,000, I will add a sixth bottle to the drawing: 2010 Sandlands Syrah Amador County. This is the single earliest vintage Sandlands Vineyards wine, 1.5 barrels produced, and 29 remaining bottles logged in CT. (To the winner: please post a note when you open it!)

EDITED TO ADD (10/16):
Entries are closed and results are in post #57. Total contributions were $5,470. We done good.

Contributions to help find a cure for ALS of course remain welcome.

11 Likes

I am so sorry to hear about your friend, Joe. ALS is a horrible disease. I hope you raise a ton of money. Sending my best wishes to your friend.

Andy

1 Like

Thank you, Andy. There is a link to his family’s page in the “story” on my fundraising page linked above. My friend is not a board member but is as berserk as they come and an absolute natural. I have happily and consistently lost to him for many years at golf, ping pong, tennis, corn hole, taboo, karaoke, and other games too embarrassing and numerous to mention. Our wives have together founded multiple community organizations and a business. Our homes are 200 feet apart. I’d gladly give away my entire cellar if I knew it would make a difference for him and his family. I am grateful for your support and that of the entire community here.

2 Likes

I am so sorry to hear about your friends situation Joe, you’re a good friend. I’m happy to contribute to the cause.

1 Like

Sorry to hear this Joe. I lost a close friend to ALS. One of the most amazing people I’ve ever met. Count me in.
Warren

1 Like

ALS is a horrible disease. I’m so sorry.

1 Like

Challenge bottle added. See post #1.

My cousin has had ALS close to 9 years. He’s living longer than expected, but to watch him gradually fade away is heartbreaking. Donation made.

1 Like

Great initiative Joe! I lost someone close to me to this thing in 2009. Terrible disease. Donation made.

1 Like

ALS is nasty stuff. One of my sister’s close friends is battling the disease. I’m happy to chip in.

1 Like

Donation made and wishing your friend the best

1 Like

Donation in - your friend and his family are in my thoughts.

1 Like

Bump…in

1 Like

Very nice, Joe. I’m in. I hope it goes as well as it can for your friend. He has a good friend in you.

1 Like

My daughter’s best friend died of ALS at 38 years old so, of course, I will gladly donate.

1 Like

I lost a fraternity brother to ALS, so count me in as well.

1 Like

If for $50 though it is not listed by your friend’s name as I did not know it. San Diego Chapter right?

1 Like

A terrible disease, happy to contribute

1 Like

Thank you, Lawrence. Your contribution went to the right place and is recorded on the page.

For anyone else who is having trouble:

There is a specific donation page that you must use. The instructions and link to the donation page are in post #1.

See step 1 under “here’s how this will work”. The words “my Walk for ALS page” in that step are a link to the donation page.