TN: 2017 Bodegas Muga Rioja Reserva (Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja)

• 2017 Bodegas Muga Rioja Reserva - Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja (10/2/2021)
    Day 1: All all young Muga Reserva’s these improve over time. Earth, spices, floral notes, coffee beans, minerals and red currants. Tight wine that should open up over the next few days. 90-92 points
    Day 2: Better. Nice concentration featuring roasted chestnuts, earth, spice, floral, cherry, sour raspberries and minerals. Medium plus finish and delicious. Great value at $25.00. 91 points (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

This is a great wine. I have not had a chance to try the Grand Reserva.

I love all of their wines. Some certainly more affordable than others. [cheers.gif]

Day 3: Hoping for even more improvement and got it! This the real deal and for those who don’t like the wood/dill of some Rioja wines this one is for you! Raspberries, minerals, sour cherry, spice, mild wood note, roasted chestnuts and dried rose petals. Medium plus finish and complexity overload. Might be one of the better under $30 Spanish Wines in a long time. 93+ points
Recommendation: BUY IT!

This is a no brainer and top 5 QPR of the year.

1 Like

Day 4 still rocks! This is one of the best wines for under $30 of the year and the best version of Muga Reserva to date for me.

The 2015 is drinking very well, I’ll have to give the '17 a try. I recently made peace with the Muga Reserva after a 10 year or so hiatus [wink.gif]

Well then you picked a good time to revisit. The 17 is the best I have had in 10 years.

1 Like

Kind of impressive they were able to produce something good given how bad the weather issues were. Although I read that Muga made no higher end reds, so the reserva got the benefit of the better vineyards which usually go into Torre, Prado Enea etc.

Probably played a big factor. I have had some outstanding wines when this happens over the years. I will be buying a six pack and aging a few of these for the long hall. [cheers.gif]

So you found 2017 better than 2016 ?

(I haven’t tasted either)

I’m always biased to laying down well reputed vintages even if individual wines may have some regard.

interesting theory, it makes sense. looking back at CT though the “good” overall rioja vintages appear to have the highest ratings for the reserva on average (2001, 2009, 2010, 2015, 2016 leading the pack). as a muga fan I’m intrigued enough to pick up some 17, thanks for the review!

I have tasted the following vintages and 17 is the best I have tasted: 01, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 12 and 13. Have not surprisingly tried the 15 or 16. Just kind of forgot how much I like their Reserva.

I have never tasted this wine, but have had a couple of their Muga Torre Muga vintages which I like with some age, but are they priced a lot higher. What is the difference in these? Thanks

Torre Muga is their (modern) flagship; Prado Enea is their gran reserva, also a flagship in a different way.

I try to buy the Prado Enea, at least a few bottles, in every vintage in which it is released. I would put it in my top 3-4 “Spanish Wines under $100”…and I wouldn’t spend more than $100 on a Spanish wine. Nothing against Spanish wine, but I rarely spend more than $100 on ANY wine, and when I do it tends to either be Bordeaux or a single-bottle purchase of Barolo, Burgundy or a 100% Sangiovese IGT wine such as Montevertine’s Le Pergole Torte or Flaccianello (and soon to include Cepparello, as it’s certainly on its way to $100+ after years of hovering at $69-$79).

John,

How would you compare this to LRA Vina Ardanza which generally sells for $32?
Had Muja many years ago and thought it was just ok.

I would rather drink Ardanza and prices are creeping closer on these wines. I used to get Muga on sale for $18.99 now it is around $25. Ardanza certainly has more dill/wood elements whereas the Muga more concentrated wine.

Agree 100%. The Ardanza sits at $10 more than the Muga ($34 vs. $24) and has much more of an “American Oak” footprint (dill) and a slightly thinner and more advanced fruit character, whereas the Muga is more omodern in style–thicker, darker and more concentrated, with no obvious American Oak showing, but with the French Oak giving it a bit more of a Bordeaux-like character. Ultimately, I’d say the Muga is likely more of a crowd-pleaser, whereas the Ardanza is only good for those who like the traditional “dill” character of classic/traditional Rioja. I know that many non-wine geeks seem to find the Ardanza too “weird” (i.e. it doesn’t taste like other wines they’re used to drinking).

1 Like

Had to get 3 more. Probably should have bought a case.

Thanks for you opinion on that. I balked at buying 2012 Ardanza because of the reviews saying it was a lesser vintage compared to 2010 (seems there was no 2011) and a slight price increase. But when I finally tried the 2012 I was not disappointed and find myself conflicted between Ardanza and 2015 Alberdi which is $13 lower but more a bomb type of wine. But I find I can enjoy both depending on my mood on any given day.