TN: Türk 2018 Grüner Vetliner Eiswein

Berserkers,

Well never did I ever think I’d ever see this in the liquor monopoly controlled province of Ontario – an icewine brought in from a different country. And a varietal I’ve never seen in an icewine before. Naturally I just had to get this. But how is it and how does it compare to our own national treasure? Let’s see:

TURK 2018 GRUNER VETLINER EISWEIN

SUMMARY: Very drinkable icewine that tastes like a combination of Canadian Vidal and Riesling icewines. Definitely as good as Canadian icewine but doesn’t best it. Fairly and equivalently priced, though, which makes it a must-try if you enjoy icewine.

Light straw gold in the glass. Surprisingly, the nose has no fruit on it and smells like mellow white peppercorns. On the palate, bracing acidity right off the top like a freshly opened German Riesling. Sweet Vidal like quince flavors are then followed by sweet lemon drop flavors and more acidity. It’s like I mixed a Canadian Vidal and a Canadian Riesling icewine together. Incredibly smooth texture which is also a hallmark of our icewine up here. Makes it light on its feet to drink despite the high sweetness.

I was really surprised to see this in the LCBO, I thought they’d be a lot more protectionist of the local icewine industry. With this said, if I were to fairly compare it to Canadian icewine, apart from the unique varietal I have to say the high quality, taste and value are 100% identical. This is fairly priced at $50 Canadian which is what a good high end Canadian Riesling or Vidal icewine would go far. If you enjoy icewine you should definitely give this a try.

20210926_000328.jpg