When you don’t love enough to give Dom…

Curious to thoughts on what is the next level below prestige champagne below Dom. (To the absolute newbie only heard of never tasted any)

I’m giving a gift but really do not want to go to the Dom level. I’m sure the Dom label would make a splash but can’t decide what’s the next level down that would scream “celebration” to a non wine lover. In this case the label is probably more important than the wine, which is why I’m asking.

So what’s the answer @$75?

Geeky wines are $75. Labels are $40-50…

Ruinart is my solution but I’m thing it’s too geeky.

Perrier Jouet.

Veuve

Good one, nice bottle and passable wine in a nice bottle. Probably has never heard of it though, but the bottle might make them look it up?

You are right on the label for sure but I’d like to go just 1/2 inch geekier. Maybe we can tickle the this is cool bone along with the this is good bone.

Some times you can find Billecart Salmon Rose around $80. A mag of Veuve would be cool.

I second that, Billecart Salmon Rose.

In my books Ruinart and Veuve are probably two of the most pedestrian Champagnes I can think of. I don’t know what is geeky anymore.

1 Like

(Sure, Moët and Feuillatte and all the huge co-ops are equally pedestrian)

La Grand Dame

I’ll give another shout out to Billecart Rose and Veuve due to label recognition.

Another vote for billecart rose. It’s killer.

Love grand dame like mentioned above but around me it’s $120-150

Cedric Bouchard Val Vilaine will certainly scratch that itch

1 Like

What about Moët & Chandon Champagne Grand Vintage Brut, known by some as “Baby Dom”? Just had the '08 a couple weeks ago, very good.

Veuve is the perfect choice. Not that expensive but people think it’s top level. We give them all the time for company gifts and people love it. It’s because everyone has seen it on the top shelf of the grocery store. It’s about the only thing it’s good for.

Billecart for me.

If you don’t care about the content too much, go for a flashy bottle maybe:

• Tsarine
  • De Venoge Prince
  • Bollinger 007
  • Veuve Clicquot Brut Tape (in the box that looks like a cassette)
  • Duval-Leroy Cuvée Design
  • Etc.

That way you are contributing to the marketing ROI.

I would add Roederer Vintage Rose’. Both the '13 and '14 should be available for less than $75. Hard to go wrong with Billecart Salmon, either.

Ed

Pierre Peter Brut
Delamotte

Yup, I came here to say exactly this. Always my go to champagne gift for non-wine people if I’m not spending at Dom levels. Peeps dig the label and have usually heard of the producer. Win/win.

Vueve could work as well as others have said.