Help Wanted - EURO CAVE Mold problem

We have a 1 year old EURO CAVE, single cellar - about 5.5 Feet tall.
We have been battling a mold problem and I am seeking suggestions.
You can imagine we have used TEA TREE OIL treatments, and bleach,
we have the problem primarily on the labels, a tiny bit recently on
the cork top.
I can imagine my use of CORAVIN has contributed to the invitation to the mold,
living in Hawaii in an apartment that is basically almost hanging over the ocean.

We’ve cursed the bottles, yelling at them. The temperature remains good,
but the mold spreads…

Anyone with a similar experience who has solved this ?
Thanks for help

I had this problem with mine when I first got them, I stopped stacking wine & put it to only the shelves. I lost a lot of storage space, but the mold was no longer a problem after I sprayed everything with white vinegar.

1 Like

Check the filter on back & wash/replace ?

1 Like

We will try the white vinegar tomorrow, I was going to just say - “we have only used shelves and no stacking”
and then I realized at the very bottom we did stack half bottles on top of each other -
and I think that is where I first noticed the mold,
sounds like a good suggestion… I’ll have to figure out what to do, I do not want to bring to my office/warehouse…
we are waiting for replacement filters and the vinegar is good…

thanks

1 Like

will do, thank you, and waiting for the replacement filters…

Save $$ and clean, re-do your filters easily !

ok, I’ll do that… tonight! good advice…

You have too high humidity. cleaning isn’t going to solve it. Use of bleach (not recommended) isn’t going to fix it. Only lowering the humidity (below 80%) can fix it. If the seals on the door have even a slight leak, the humidity in a warm climate can be too high, causing mold. There are beads that can help lower humidity. Never tried it, but there is a product called Damprix that can lower humidity.

1 Like

Thank you, that is a lot to think about,
I believe I’ve carefully checked the seals so I think that is ok,
We started to have mold down at my warehouse several years back and we used the tea tree oil and the problem went away
and , no bottles are stacked on top of each other, we are located I would guess 100 or so meters or less to the ocean.
Thanks for the ideas, you’ve given me a lot more to think about

Also, I think hydrogen peroxide is favored over bleach for cleaning wine related areas/fridges. Reacts w corks and wine more favorably than bleach.

Fixing the spelling. Arm & Hammer also makes a similar moisture absorbing product.

Also want to add that making sure there is space along the sides and back wall to ensure pepper airflow can help if that’s an issue.

I use the charcoal bits that are for aquarium filters, seems to work for me and 3 Eurocaves .Filters are $45 apiece + shipping !
Pop 'em open and empty & fill with activated charcoal !
Good luck.
Ease-off on bleach on wine coolers, not advised !

this makes sense, thank you!

good point… thank you…

Thank you again… good thoughts to follow

Get a battery operated humidity meter

Never happened to mine but I have seen some with mold hiding behind the lining of the wall.

Adding to Kirk’s suggestion, also make sure no bottles are touching the back wall of the unit. I would also recommend emptying the unit and wiping all interior surfaces with white vinegar. I did all of this when facing a pretty serious mold issue and the mold didn’t come back.

William,
If the unit is not in a particularly dry environment, pull out the extended drainage straw (thin black pipe) from the drainage channel. This will lower the water level and will prevent of over humidity and Condensation.

Same issue in South FL… I finally stopped it by wiping down the fixed shelves (one on top and one at the bottom where moisture/water accumulated) DAILY with a towel… a pain to do but it fixed the issue after trying all of the above suggestions and more

1 Like