TN: 2018 Racines Chardonnay Sta. Rita Hills

• 2018 Racines Chardonnay Sta. Rita Hills - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (9/19/2021)
    Once again I find myself at odds with other tasters here. Wow - I though this was excellent. Fruit forward, mineral and great acidity with European provenance on display. None of that Chard bitterness that is always on display, just nicely floral (in a blind I would probably have guessed a subdued Viognier).

Label is collaboration between Justin Willet from the great Tyler Winery and Hubert de Montille’s son, Etienne (I’m sure many have seen the documentary on the late Hubert). Great wine, don’t miss. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Price? And is it a good thing that you would have picked it up as a viognier blind. As a fan of ‘typicity’, they would be somewhat ‘problematic’ to me.

Cheers.

I think it’s pretty pricey at around $45.

I’m not a huge fan of Viognier’s floral notes. But this was on the right side. Some Chard’s can be that way, but to me they always chase with bitterness and tropical notes, this one didn’t really do that. Or, rather, perhaps a slight tropical note somewhere in the background now that I think about it (I tasted it 2 days ago), but really nothing that screamed Chardonnay. Since I’m ambivalent to the grape, I didn’t mind that it wasn’t typical.

Anyone biting on the sparkling release today?

seems like Justin Willett from Tyler is no longer involved in the project? The website only lists de Montille and Rudolphe Peters now. Wonder if that’s why they haven’t released a 2019? Curious to see where this project goes…

At odds? Do people on here really not like these? Everything I’ve had under this label has been great. I just wish the prices were a little lower.

This does seem quite interesting indeed. I didn’t realize he was not involved anymore, but he probably has his hands full after purchasing the Fiddlestix Vineyard within the last year with a few partners . . .

Cheers

I went to Tyler’s website today cuz I got an email from them and noticed that Tyler.com is still linking to Racines and saying

FOR MORE WINE FROM THE SAME
WINEMAKER VISIT [RACINESWINE.COM](https://www.racineswine.com/)

But like other have pointed out, Justin is no longer listed on Racine’s website. So who knows.