Recent Barolo TNs: '15 Burlotto Acclivi, '15 Sandri Perno, and '17 Ratti Marcenasco

We just spent some time in the mountains to end the summer and to flee the Houston heat. The fall weather made me crave some good Barolo and thankfully Vail’s restaurants and wine shops always have a few goodies laying around.

2015 Comm. G.B. Burlotto Barolo Acclivi - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (9/19/2021)
On the list at Sweet Basil whose wine service is always top notch. This was my first Acclivi and I found it to be quite a bit brawnier than the Monviglieros I’ve had. it could have just been the vintage though as I haven’t had '15 Monvig yet. It still has the hallmark Burlotto whole cluster strawberry fruit nose with some earthy undertones. On the palate it was unfortunately fairly shut down and unyielding. Big tannic bright cherry fruit that didn’t expand much over dinner. We followed it up with an '18 Pegau Reservee that was incredibly complex and open for business by comparison. I don’t think I’ll go for another Acclivi young after this experience. I have high hopes for this wine but, unlike Monvig, it clearly shuts down. Not ranked.

2015 Elio Sandri Barolo Perno - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (9/19/2021)
This is an extraordinary nice Barolo that is surprisingly open already. Very little tannic structure save for a tiny bit of astringency on the finish. Flora but somewhat earthy on the nose. Dried dark cherries, sandalwood, and forest floor. Velvety and texturally impressive. You can open one now without hesitation but this probably peak in 5+ years. (92 pts.)

2017 Renato Ratti Barolo Marcenasco - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (9/19/2021)
Had this with a great meal at La Nonna in Vail. A tannic dark cherry oak bomb at this stage. I really enjoy this wine with some age on it but this is not a pleasurable experience at this stage. The 2010 I had in 2020 was superb but still young so maybe 10-15 years is the sweet spot for the Marcenasco. (89 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

Thanks for the notes!

FYI, Monvigliero is the only Barolo that they ferment with stems. Acclivi and the other bottlings are made more conventionally, with destemmed grapes.

That really blows my mind, John. Thanks for flagging. It certainly smelled like it did. Wasn’t quite as prominent as in Monvig but the spicy red fruit screamed whole cluster to me.