Biogenic amines

Jancis published an article on biogenic amines today. A successful MW candidate published a great study on the subject. One could register on the IMW website and download all of it. Well worth looking at for its discussion of SO2 and its relationship to headaches etc. This maligned chemical may not be the culprit it is made out to be.

I believe this is free for all, but I don’t know if the same holds true for the article Julia Harding wrote about it.

Thanks for the link, Mel. Interesting. I’ve heard speculation on histamines for decades

Long ago i heard that Chianti Classico was the only red without histamines, perhaps because of the white grapes in the blend.
I don’t know how much this holds up to analysis these days.

From the cousin of a friend of an Italian wine importer? neener

1 Like

No
Mad Magazine

Don’t look at me.

Worst headache I ever got was from a pet-nat from the Loire with no added sulfur. It was almost immediate. Tried a glass on different days. Same result.

Good read! Think I’ll keep a copy of this in my pocket for every hipster restaurant I go to that only has SO2 free “natural wine”. I do have two friends that say they have a wine intolerance (but can drink other alcohol). It didn’t really give any conclusion on what wines (other than wines with SO2 added) would be good for them?

These compounds are quite nasty for some people to tolerate. Also fits with the intervention of taking an anti-histamine prior to exposure and preventing the reaction. Wine is a complex soup of chemicals, especially red wines

It’s a complex subject and worth reading the full article. I have understood for many years that anti-histamines could help people who were having adverse reactions to amines in wine, but Jancis points our:

“Alcohol also plays a part in that it stops the specific enzymes that allow our bodies to get rid of excess biogenic amines, which are therefore particularly harmful in alcoholic drinks such as wine. Apparently, taking antihistamines won’t necessarily help because some of them stop those enzymes from working properly, and some also interfere with our ability to process alcohol.”

This study has lots of implications for allergy sufferers and natural wine enthusiasts.Perhaps there aren’t many of either here.