TN: 2012 Cayuse Syrah Armada Vineyard

Pop and pour on this one. Served with Beef Stew on a cold, rainy Summer night in Seattle. Not sure I’m ready for Fall with the exception of wine and food pairings.

Dark crimson in color. 13.6% ABV. Spellbinding nose of red fruits, olive brine and smoked meats. Medium body with exquisite acidity. Cherries, gamey meats, saline and minerals on the palate. Exceptional length on the finish. Such a unique wine with a profile that really seems to be specific to the Rocks District. Best over the next 2-4 years.

My rating: 95 points.

Full review on Zinfandel Chronicles - 2012 Cayuse Syrah Armada Vineyard - Bottle Notes | Zinfandel Chronicles

Cheers,
Tom
IMG_1380-scaled-e1632061073812.jpg

2 Likes

Nice note Tom, I think in most vintages I would take the Armada over the Frog, and I’m pretty sure I’m not alone with that opinion. A slight difference of opinion, this will be in a great drinking window beyond the next 2 to 4 years. I could see almost any Armada going to 20 with ease.

The Armada does have this timeless quality where it is great on release and might very well drink beautifully for 20 years. It would be fun to try some 20 year old Cayuse. It never lasts that long in my cellar.

Tom

I opened an ‘07 Armada on Friday and was impressed at how youthful it was. Seemed like it was just entering its peak drinking window.

The oldest armada is 2003. I have one of those left. Think I will wait until 2023 to open it to see what the twenty year mark is like. I am of the firm opinion that most of Christophes syrahs can easily go 20 years, and in my opinion benefit from substantial bottle age. But as others have said they can be quite good young too!

I had a 2000 Coccinelle (what now makes the bionic frog) earlier this year that was damn near perfect to my tastes.

Yes. The 2000 to 2003 coccinelles are pretty special. Those and bionic frog are the oldest I have. But there are some lay 1990s around as well. Might be fun for Christophe to do a 20 or 25 year retrospective.

Yes but I don’t think they are estate fruit, unless its a 1999 perhaps?

Looks like Cailloux vineyard came on line in 1998 as Cobblestone vineyard for 1 vintage. I haven’t read that many great notes on the late 90s bottlings.

The earliest I have had is a 2000. Not sure I have seen many notes on the 1990s.

Thanks for the note Tom. I have not drank any of my '12’s.

As far as a 20 year drinking window I am a believer. My oldest bottle is a an '07. the last bottle of the '07 I drank was in '18 and it was frigging delicious.

Good to hear, I’ve got a 3L bottle of 2004 Armada I need to pop soon! May have to get on that