TN: 2009 Schloss Reinhartshausen Erbacher Marcobrunn Riesling Spätlese trocken

• 2009 Schloss Reinhartshausen Erbacher Marcobrunn Riesling Spätlese trocken - Germany, Rheingau (9/18/2021)
    I know nothing about this wine…and am not really “into” Riesling, especially German…but I do appreciate the style and a good bottle or two. I was sold this wine a long time ago, from someone I bought Trimbach FE from, and noted that dry style that I prefer. Cracked this bottle on a whim…first noted the tropical creamy fruits…mainly pineapple…green apple tartness…candied peach…banana skin wax…but here is where this wine shines…KILLER crushed mineral salinity! LOVE the dryness in this wine…very Trimbach-ish…smoky flint strike, yet perceived sweetness from the ripe and full bodied fruits…the dryness and crisp acidity…coupled with the exotic tropical flower florals makes it! Waxy and full bodied texture is pleasing…little white honey butter and petrol from aged complexity is engaging…SO pleasing and a true joy to drink!
    For people in the know…tell me more about this wine and producer? (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Very, very old producer. https://schloss-reinhartshausen.winzershop.store/ueber-uns/ I used to buy and drink their wines regularly in the 1980s. Some of them (particularly a couple of Auslesen and BAs) were absolutely fabulous. Have not seen their wines in the US for many, many years and do not know that much about what they are like today.

By the way, Erbacher Marcobrunn is one of their most famous vineyards, so you were drinking wines from grapes grown in “first growth” terror from the Rheingau.

1 Like

Always looking for signs of a real revival at this legendary estate.

Lots of great estates need revival. The trouble is climate change is against the Rheingau.

Climate change? What’s that? :wink:

Lots of great estates need revival. The trouble is climate change is against the Rheingau.

Well, 1959 was a very hot year and the wines from the Rheingau are monumental. Perhaps not to your tastes however. The biggest white wines I’ve ever had.