TN: 2014 Clos Pepe Estate Pinot Noir Vigneron Select

Popped and poured at cellar temp. Lovely dark amber core with a little translucent red at the rim. Underbrush, iodine and deep dark black cherry fruit on the nose. Same dark black cherry fruit and spicy underbrush on the attack with lovely crunchy red cranberry fruit finish. Just entering its drinking window to my taste, with at least 3 -5 more good years ahead of it.
I think this was Wes Hagen’s last vintage as wine maker for the estate wines and the Vigneron Select designation was a special barrel he set aside every year. Really lovely effort from a very special place in the Santa Rita hills. Cheers to you Wes!

I visited Clos Pepe in 2013 and got the full Wes tour. Very cool. I hope he is still making wine somewhere.

A special place indeed - and Wes certainly made it even that much more special.

Hoping that ‘magic’ of the site rubs off next door - I started making pinot from Kessler-Haak Vineyard, adjacent and to the west of Clos Pepe, last year.

Cheers!

Larry - excited to see what you do with Pinot! Available next year?

Yep . . .

Wes is now at J Wilkes Winery in Santa Maria. He was winemaker, now I think he’s GM…and enthusiastic as ever about the Central Coast. When Clos Pepe was sold, he landed at Wilkes as the founder John Wilkes died suddenly.

James,

You are correct - the Miller family, who own Bien Nacido Vineyard, Solomon Hills Vineyard and French Camp Vineyard, along with Central Coast Wine Services, brought Wes on as a ‘brand ambassador’ for J Wilkes, a brand started by Jeff Wilkes at Central Coast Wine Services. He had worked for the Millers before starting his label than suddenly passed away a number of years ago. They re-established the brand and brought Wes on to give it more exposure, and he’s done a great job of that.

Cheers

Oh, nice. Would like to try this. Though SMV might be my favorite AVA in the area, Clos Pepe is a sentimental favorite.