VERGET all day...on WineBid!

Lot of older Verget for sale on the WB! I have had really good luck with Verget…when I was first bitten by the Burg(white) Bug, I found Verget locally, and enjoyed a bunch of village Meursault and St Veran…which made me seek out more on WB…and have had some killer 1994’s Meursault/Batard/Charmes…1994/2004 MdT Chablis…05 St Veran/Meursault village…as well as other stuff. I know that they are poster child for the POX…especially in 96…and I think there was a run in with the law at one point? I have always found their wines to be terroir correct and thoroughly enjoyable…and have never really had a bad bottle. The color on those bottles from WB don’t look too appetizing either? But that may be deceiving. SO…what are your thoughts on the wines from VERGET? Are they defunct now, as there doesn’t seem to be any of the esteemed wines being produced anymore?

Thoughts?

I didn’t buy or drink much Verget back in the day, but I did buy a bottle of the '95 Valmur based on the Rovani “tears” review and my LWS having it at a nice price. Of course now we like to make fun of such things, but I have to say it was pretty spectacular when we had it in 2009, albeit no tears were shed.

Looks like WINEBID is not allowing us to link wines here from their site???

The link is not currently active.

There are a number of reasons that you may have received this message. The most common is that the merchant who was advertising is temporarily not-actively promoting that program. If, however, you feel you have reached this page in error, please let us know. Shareasale.com does not tolerate or send any SPAM mail to anyone. If you feel you have been targeted by a SPAM message, we would appreciate if you could forward the message to us at abuse at shareasale.com.

Shareasale.com manages the relationships between advertisers and affiliates, which is why you were directed to our site. Since the link that you clicked is not currently active, you were not redirected to the site.

If you are a new affiliate, your links will not be active until Shareasale.com gets a chance to review your account - you will receive an email when your account is approved and links are activated. This process generally takes around 24 business hours.

[scratch.gif]

My vague memories were that Verget was the king of premox, even before 1996.I do know a couple of bottles that were in mixed lot auction buys were totally shot.

1 Like

I do not know the wines. However, when wines which people like get dumped at good prices onto WineBid, they should enjoy the shooting-fish-in-a-barrel session.

Snooze, and lose.

Link still works for me.

Looks like many of these are premoxed garbage.

Not premoxed:

Premoxed:

My experience as well. I have had way too many issues with 1996-mid 2000’s Verget.

IT what’s up?

Same problem as Buzz. Ad Blocker issue?

Same. I’m actually surprised at some of the bottles they allowed posted that are clearly shot.

Recently went 1 for 2 on 1996 Verget Bougros. Even when sound it’s a good not great bottle of wine. Won’t be buying again at any price, not when I’m happy to drink young Louis Michel in its place for $35 a pop

Still exists AFAIK, but don’t see them around either. As you probably know, it’s the negoce label of Jean-Marie Guffens-Heynen (Verget - Verget SAS). FYI he is on Instagram and regularly posts - also has quite an outspoken opinion so interesting to follow. I am under the impression his wines (ie his estate wines under the name Guffens-Heynen) are starting to get more attention again, which is a good thing, as they are certainly unique and can age.

The WA now reviews them every year again.

Terrible premox in my experience but they now use screwcap, which should make a difference.

I bought a lot of late 90s vintages of Verget whites back in the day from Premier Cru. While prices were attractive results were mixed, whether it was premox, poor transport/storage, or otherwise. FWIW I’d want to see back labels for the Winebid items.

I would echo the premox concerns. In the late 1990s, I had satisfying bottles of young Verget whites – St. Romain and Macon-Villages – but everything that I kept for 5 years or more past the vintage date was undrinkable.