TN: A Good Tuesday, Vol. VI: Italians: Benanti, Calafe, Produttori, Cornelissen, Quintarelli...

Had some of the usual suspects over for a little dinner and wine last night. We did ok for a Tuesday. Broad theme of Italian wines, which left it fairly wide open and made the work of guessing blinds a bit more challenging. A few bummer wines (Benanti?!), and a couple real stars. A good time with good friends capped off with some Treehouse DIPA too late in the night. [cheers.gif]

A GOOD TUESDAY, VOL. VI: ITALIANS (BENANTI, CALAFE, PRODUTTORI, CORNELISSEN, D&R, QUINTARELLI… - (9/15/2021)

• 2012 Benanti Etna Bianco Superiore Pietramarina - Italy, Sicily, Etna DOC
    Without planning it, we ended up having two Benanti Pietramarina blind, this and the '16. Neither showed well. Just kind of muted and dilute. Nothing really wrong, maybe a bit oxidized, but just rather uninspiring. Totally unlike my last good bottle. Dumped into a decanter and didn’t really move it much. Strange showing.
  • 2016 Benanti Etna Bianco Superiore Pietramarina - Italy, Sicily, Etna DOC
    We must have had an off bottle. Actually two as the '12 on the table showed similar. Just not showing much. Muted. Reticent. Nothing like this wine should be and nothing like the previous notes in CT. Weird bottle.
  • 2007 Calafè Greco di Tufo Ariavecchia - Italy, Campania, Greco di Tufo DOCG
    These are cool, geeky wines. Fun to serve blind, as no one ever thinks of Greco di Tufo! Really evolves in the glass. A chameleon. A bit waxy, god weight and tension. dense white fruit, salinity, acid. Really pops with food. Held strong over the course of the night. Fun wine.

• 2004 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Riserva Ovello - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco
    Second not great bottle of this in the last two years. I don’t think these bottles were sound before they got to me. Muted. Tired. Non-descript, not showing Nebbiolo at all. Bummer
  • 2013 Altesino Brunello di Montalcino Montosoli - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino
    Still fairly tight. Did not peg as Brunello, but I don’t drink much Brunello and my mind doesn’t go there by default. Good with food. Deft balance. Still years ahead for this one.
  • 2019 Dirty and Rowdy Barbera Old Vine Mendocino County - USA, California, North Coast, Mendocino County
    Fun wine. Very D&R. Sort of glou glou. Bright, crunchy red fruit. Pure cranberry. Good with food. Young.

• 2010 Giuseppe Quintarelli Primofiore Veneto IGT - Italy, Veneto, Veneto IGT
    Really terrific showing. In the zone. Nose shows a good dose of Cab Franc green pepper and licorice and red fruit. Palate shows medium body, slightly drying, dark cherry, and a super classy palate. Just wonderful texture. Well made wine that just sings with food.
  • 2013 Frank Cornelissen MunJebel Rosso 10 - Italy, Sicily, Terre Siciliane
    Man this was wicked good. Served blind: It had the wild, natural/herbal nose. Almost like glou glou, but the palate is so refined and clean with vibrant red fruit. I guessed Emidio Pepe. Precise. Great texture. Best showing of a Cornelissen wine for me. Thanks Mike!

Posted from CellarTracker

4 Likes

Thanks for the hospitality and for posting the notes, it was a great night! I’m still stunned that you managed to bake a loaf of bread, make a tomato confit, smoke a chicken, and prepare a farro and Brussel sprout side, each of which was delicious, between getting home from work and dinner time.

It’s always fun when the favorite wines are unexpected and I can’t recall a tasting where that was more true.

1 Like

Me too! [cheers.gif]
Thanks.

When Cornelissen is on, it can be spectacular. Glad you had that experience. Recent vintages are cleaner and not as wild, imho.

1 Like

Thanks, Greg. Never had FC with as much age. Young, the always seem show as one expects froms natty wild wines. Was totally surprised when this was revealed as it was so clean and refined.

The last vintage of Pietramarina that I felt was really amazing was 2010. I find the skyrocketing critical acclaim and the three- or fourfold price increase over the last 5-10 years quite puzzling. Ariavecchia, on the other hand… what a wine!

1 Like

Ariavecchia…1/2 the price and 2x the fun!

Where I live, it’s more like 1/3 or 1/4 the price and 4 or 5 x the fun, but, other than that, yes, I very much echo the sentiment :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And…I just sent a text the guys from Tuesday night that I just poured the last glass and it’s still really interesting on night 3!